Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> LE interior color change question, Dye it back or replace?
poorsche914
post May 16 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #1

T4 Supercharged

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

The LE I just got had a brown interior but has been dyed black. Is there a way to dye it back to the original color or would I be better off finding a brown interior to replace it?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.volksbraggin.com-10419-1274053228.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.volksbraggin.com-10419-1274053228.2.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom_T
post May 17 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

That is the #31 Beige interior under the dye, like I have in my 73 2L - not brown, which is much darker color.

Beige:
Attached Image

Brown:
Attached Image

74 Smooth & Basketweave Leatherette color chart (not great color rendition, but shows the diff.):
Attached Image Attached Image

I don't know how well that sand the vinyl will work & you cannot get into the basketweave nooks anyway, aside from destroying the surface. If you're trying to do a proper resto on this LE, then get a COA from PCNA & it should tell you the original colors & may say if it was a "real" LE.

So you may be stuck with either an aftermarket repro. reupholstery or finding a proper beige interior & either the tan (504) or dark tan (503) loop pile carpet that went with it, as in the chart below:
Attached Image

The DAPO probably did that because the Beige & tan carpets are almost impossible to find nowadays, & in the process completely pucked-up the nicest interior color IMHO! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Appearance & Performance (morph), AA, PP, etc. sell the aftermarket interiors, since the originals are NLA, unless you can find an excellent salvaged one! I decided to use mine & find some smooth vinyl for backpads otherwise unusable to repair the bolster rips in my seats, etc.

Contact Davep & Jeff Bowlsby on here for LE info (do a member search, then PM or email them & start the dialog - they'll be happy to help), cuz they're the gurus on them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) & can help your mission a lot!!! Other good originality resources are Steve Gaglione (smg or sahara steve with the 73 2L brown interior pic above), & George at AA (dr914). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Where in the Smokies are you?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 17 2010, 05:47 AM
Post #3

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 17 2010, 03:03 AM) *

That is the #31 Beige interior under the dye, like I have in my 73 2L - not brown, which is much darker color.
The DAPO probably did that because the Beige & tan carpets are almost impossible to find nowadays, & in the process completely pucked-up the nicest interior color IMHO! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Where in the Smokies are you?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Thanks for all the info, Tom. I plan on sending off for a COA at some point to see what was originally in the car.

The dye job was apparently done over 20 years ago by an owner before the one I bought the car from. To be honest, at this point I am not a die hard originalist (?) so if I am unable to locate the proper color interior at a reasonable price I will stick with black. Perhaps in the future I will restore to original. The carpet has also been replaced with some hand cut stuff and glued to the floor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

My current goal is to get the car roadworthy and then restore as I drive. I live in Sevierville TN and the winding roads are beckoning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:58 PM