Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> greasing up the holes
mipstien
post May 27 2010, 09:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,576
Region Association: South East States

so the releases for the engine bay and the hood are a little, no really, tough to pull. in particular the hood release. is there an easy way to grease up those cables and holes or do you need to actually pull the cables or replace them. the cables look good everywhere i can see them. just feel kinda stuck.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Bartlett 914
post May 27 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mipstien @ May 27 2010, 10:28 AM) *

so the releases for the engine bay and the hood are a little, no really, tough to pull. in particular the hood release. is there an easy way to grease up those cables and holes or do you need to actually pull the cables or replace them. the cables look good everywhere i can see them. just feel kinda stuck.

Pull the latch out and clean it and lubricate it. This fixed mine. I installed an aftermarket front seal. These do not fit very well. This then also caused the hood release to be too stiff.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 27 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 27 2010, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mipstien @ May 27 2010, 10:28 AM) *

Pull the latch out and clean it and lubricate it. This fixed mine.

Mark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) -

1. Remove, clean & lube the latches & work them a bit (clean with WD40 or similar then auto or marine grease on latches/catches & 3-in-1 in the mechanism), then try working the releases - this is usually the culprit when mildly sticky, but if still stiff, then ...

2. Pull off handle(s) & 3-in-1 in them at the actuator mechanism(s), work them around, then reattach & try working the releases - if still stiff, then ...

3. Pull cables & check for rust in the tubes/guides, torn nylon sheath, frayed cables, etc. - if OK then try some light oil in the cable guides/tubes & on cables, reinstall & work back & forth, reconnect & retry action. ... or ....

4. If cables are in bad shape & or the front trunk guide/tube, then replace them with new for the usual 914 sources. BTW - apparently they now use the same cable for F trunk & engine lid & trim it for the latter application (IIRC they were different parts back in the stone age).

Use Detox's/Joe's cable adjustment method posted above to get them back on with the right "play" for #1, #3 & #4.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:44 PM