Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: greasing up the holes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mipstien
so the releases for the engine bay and the hood are a little, no really, tough to pull. in particular the hood release. is there an easy way to grease up those cables and holes or do you need to actually pull the cables or replace them. the cables look good everywhere i can see them. just feel kinda stuck.
detoxcowboy
They tend to loosen with use, but you can adjust the cables by 1 or 3 mm looser, just follow the cables to the relase brackets and you will find a nut that clamps to the cable, loosen that nut and give the cable a feww mm slack and re tighten.. to loose and it will not open, to tight and you get it harder to release ect, way to tight and you may not be able to open either..
mipstien
cool, the front one is of more concern. stopping at a gas station and not opening wouldn't be all that great lol.
thank you ill get to it tonight.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(mipstien @ May 27 2010, 10:28 AM) *

so the releases for the engine bay and the hood are a little, no really, tough to pull. in particular the hood release. is there an easy way to grease up those cables and holes or do you need to actually pull the cables or replace them. the cables look good everywhere i can see them. just feel kinda stuck.

Pull the latch out and clean it and lubricate it. This fixed mine. I installed an aftermarket front seal. These do not fit very well. This then also caused the hood release to be too stiff.
underthetire
Go ahead and smash.gif me but..

Harbor freight has a cable lubber, just like the one i bought at the motorcycle shop. Think it was 5 bucks there and 15 at the MC shop. It clamps around the cable and has a hole to shoot lube through the cable. Just wrap a rag around it when you do it, they are a little messy. I like tri-flow for cables, since it rinses then turn in to more of a dry lube.
detoxcowboy
You can also lub the latch itself,,
McMark
agree.gif Clean your latch before you pour a bunch of crap down the cable tube.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 27 2010, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mipstien @ May 27 2010, 10:28 AM) *

Pull the latch out and clean it and lubricate it. This fixed mine.

Mark agree.gif -

1. Remove, clean & lube the latches & work them a bit (clean with WD40 or similar then auto or marine grease on latches/catches & 3-in-1 in the mechanism), then try working the releases - this is usually the culprit when mildly sticky, but if still stiff, then ...

2. Pull off handle(s) & 3-in-1 in them at the actuator mechanism(s), work them around, then reattach & try working the releases - if still stiff, then ...

3. Pull cables & check for rust in the tubes/guides, torn nylon sheath, frayed cables, etc. - if OK then try some light oil in the cable guides/tubes & on cables, reinstall & work back & forth, reconnect & retry action. ... or ....

4. If cables are in bad shape & or the front trunk guide/tube, then replace them with new for the usual 914 sources. BTW - apparently they now use the same cable for F trunk & engine lid & trim it for the latter application (IIRC they were different parts back in the stone age).

Use Detox's/Joe's cable adjustment method posted above to get them back on with the right "play" for #1, #3 & #4.
PRS914-6
Save yourself some grief......Toss the OEM "wire" to the hood and replace with a motorcycle outer and inner cable. After buying new OEM stuff and trying for hours to get it to open easily I switched to the motorcycle cable and I can open it with one finger now. You can buy bulk at most MC dealers. You could even use bicycle cables.
6freak
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 27 2010, 09:40 AM) *

Go ahead and smash.gif me but..

Harbor freight has a cable lubber, just like the one i bought at the motorcycle shop. Think it was 5 bucks there and 15 at the MC shop. It clamps around the cable and has a hole to shoot lube through the cable. Just wrap a rag around it when you do it, they are a little messy. I like tri-flow for cables, since it rinses then turn in to more of a dry lube.

agree.gif it works great ...use cable ez,along with some latch ajusting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.