Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Thinking about getting a Boxster, Off Topic
germaneighter
post Jun 16 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,563

I'm thinking of getting a 2000 - 2002 Boxster or S model to use as a daily driver and retire my '74 2.0 to weekend use. I don't have any personal Boxster experience nor do I know anyone who has any..... Just what I've read, mainly in Excellence magazine. I plan on test driving a couple of cars this weekend.

Anyone have any general advice? What to look, feel, or listen for? How much difference, (better?) in the S model over the 2.7?

thanks,
dg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Root_Werks
post Jun 16 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've had 3 986's, couldn't keep any of them after digging into repairs. Like most newer cars with so many electrical controls, they de-value faster than that PC you bought last week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (Metaphor)

Very seriously, before taking the plunge into any newer Porsche, look and think closely about the value and what it'll be even 6 months from now. If you cannot pay cash, run, don't walk away from any deal.

Most 986's have severe engine failure issues that require mega bucks to sort out. Even then at times there is nothing you can do short of watching your engine grenade in a wild plume of oil filled smoke.

Google:

986 IMS failure
986 RMS failure
986 AOS failure

If that doesn't scare you off, there is no helping you anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 07:05 PM