Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
> Anybody know anything about this car
moralem
post Jul 2 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,823
Region Association: None

I spoke to the guy selling this car and he says it is a local car out the Dallas area. The way he talks about the car he makes it sound like it is pretty near being complete and driveable, but the more I look at the pictures I am not sure if it is worth what he is asking for. What do you guys think.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1822204477.html
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
RacerMark
post Jul 4 2010, 03:53 AM
Post #2

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 11,886
Region Association: Northern California

Just a word to the wise - I understand budget limitations, but fixing up a neglected teener can easily cost 2x the price of a good teener in similar condition (applies for most other vehicles too). And that assumes you do the work (zero labor cost).

You really want to purchase the best condition car you can afford and go from there.

Be patient - for any given condition you can find a wide range of prices. If you keep looking you might find a very clean car that someone is anxious to move quick or just doesn't know the market.
+Quote Post
bembry
post Jul 4 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(RacerMark @ Jul 4 2010, 02:53 AM) *

Just a word to the wise - I understand budget limitations, but fixing up a neglected teener can easily cost 2x the price of a good teener in similar condition (applies for most other vehicles too). And that assumes you do the work (zero labor cost).

You really want to purchase the best condition car you can afford and go from there.

Absolutely spot-on advice. Mine got to sit for 10 years while I climbed up the earnings ladder at work and was finally able to afford fixing it, all because I tried to save a buck on initial purchase. I could have been enjoying driving a teener all that time, but no (and mine ran, came with original FI, had very little rust when purchased, and it still kicked my ass). Buy something SOLID that RUNS WELL and is a COMPLETE CAR, not some basket case. The Camp 914s seem like a good bet to me. My 2 cents anyway.
Brent
+Quote Post
moralem
post Jul 4 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,823
Region Association: None

Thanks for the advice. I plan to take it slow and find the right mix of car at my price point. I do know at my price point you can get a can of worms and for a couple of grand more you can get something that is expoenentially better. It is a fine line. My price point is right at the 3k mark plus or minus. And for that price what I have seen varies from the complete disaster to something that is serviceable but needs some TLC. Then I have found that you jump to the 5k plus range and you get a much bette conditioned car. I am not quite there yet but may well wind up there if the affordable ones just don't materialze.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:24 AM