Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bontempi Flares / Fenders, Net weight savings
Randal
post Jul 4 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

OK so to put on a set of Bontempi flares or fenders you cut out all the metal except the part where you hang the FG parts.

Any idea on the net weight savings?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
J P Stein
post Jul 5 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Well....it didn't pop off the rim......
We were searching for a bit more tracton (heat) via less pressure. The pressure drop was semi-effective, but the rubbing & the cupping on the inside edges of the tires were unacceptable. Now days it's 19-20 lbs back there. The new (this year) Hoosier carcass construction....including cantis....seems to be a move in the right direction.
Turn in & transitions are much better. I just wish they had more sizes. A 9 X 15-16 straight side would be perfect for the front of a 914.....R25 compound would be a bonus. The DP Miata ( and other) guys get R25 cantis in 13 (or 14) inch sizes. They don't have to wait for heat.

The front flares were hammer & dolly work (didn't even use much bondo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )...cheep too...my hands were in better shape back then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I tried to expand the rears more to fit the bigger 10 inch tires & wheels , but gave up....thus the HPH flares.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 09:19 AM