Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> weber progressive, cam
blauer
post Aug 3 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,944
Region Association: South East States

I'm new to the porsche game. I have a 73 with a 1.7l. It all was in a box. I've had experience with Type 1 bug motors but not 4. I have bought the weber progressive carb kit, planning on ordering the svda 034 from hotspark. Is the camshaft a big issue since it was an injected motor? Any info will help. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
VaccaRabite
post Aug 3 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

First off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) !!!!

Now, I am going to proceed to rain on your parade, but just a little.

1) Return the Weber Progressive carb. They are suitable for Pintos and for use as boat anchors, but not with T4 motors. The intake runners are too long, and fuel will fall out of suspension between the carb and the head intake. The result will be super shitty performance and increased fuel usage.

2) Cams are really important in the choice to either carbs (note, plural) or FI. Carb cams tent to be more aggressive, and the stock FI cam is mild.

3) A FI 1.7 with a good tune will make about 80 hp. A 1.7 with a FI cam and a progressive carb will make maybe 60hp, if you are lucky.

4) BUT YOU ARE STARTING FROM A BOX OF PARTS! This is FANTASTIC news. Why? Because the stock 1.7 bottom end, with a good cam and dual IDF carbs makes a 1911cc motor with 115 - 120 hp. And all you need is headwork (which you would have needed anyway) and 96MM pistons and cylinders. This will give you a revvy motor with a lot more power then stock, but with almost no extra building work, and not a whole lot more money in machine shop labor and parts.

5) And if the case is split to swap that cam, you can put the crank from a stock 2.0 in there, with your 96mm pistons and cylinders, and have a 2056cc engine. Similar HP to the 1911, but more low end torque (and what I built for my car.)

So, I rained a little, but also blew some sunshine. If you know your way around a T1, a T4 will be easy. Except that doing it right will probably mean little to no chrome. :-)

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 03:39 AM