Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> weber progressive, cam
blauer
post Aug 3 2010, 12:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,944
Region Association: South East States

I'm new to the porsche game. I have a 73 with a 1.7l. It all was in a box. I've had experience with Type 1 bug motors but not 4. I have bought the weber progressive carb kit, planning on ordering the svda 034 from hotspark. Is the camshaft a big issue since it was an injected motor? Any info will help. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Spoke
post Aug 5 2010, 05:22 AM
Post #2

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

NARP = Not A Real Porsche

About the center progressive, my 71 1.7L started life with me with a center progressive. It mostly ran good although in the winter it could be hard to start after running for a while because the carb would cool in the winter's cold temps and then I was trying to start a warm engine with the electric choke closed.

Besides that, it ran all the time. I couldn't run wide open throttle since all it did was blow out black smoke (inefficient combustion).

I bought another engine with a set of IDF40 Webers and put them on. The difference was eye-opening. Although a little harder to start from cold since it didn't have a choke, it ran all the time like the progressive.

The big difference was the more complete combustion under WOT. Now I was able to run WOT and not blow out a cloud of unburned hydrocarbons. The engine pulled much much harder (That's what she said) than with the progressive.

Bottom line if I were buying a carb, I would definitely stay away from the progressive and go with a pair of dual carbs. Not only do you have very short runners but each cylinder has its own carb situated directly above the cylinder intake.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 05:20 PM