Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Great fiber glass body parts at the best prices, RennSpeed Motorsports is a great Porsche parts vendor
stewteral
post Jun 3 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #1

Old Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

To all 914 pushers:

I took a run to RennSpeed Motorsports today and bought some spare 914 parts:

-A set of 11" rear flares: $175
-A set of rocker panels (to mate with my 9" front & 11" rear flares) $175

I wanted to pass on the info about this company as the prices are great and the parts are well made. I have had my original set since 2002 and can recommend
the quality: all parts come with a thick white gel coat and a very smooth and flaw-free finish.

Peter Ng is the company owner and a great guy to deal with. His prices can't be beat, however, since he hasn't raised his prices since 2002, he told me he would have to due to his increased cost.

check out his site for the 914 offerings:
http://www.rennspd.com/Products.asp?Task=S...=13&catID=4

As a "heads-up" if you are looking for fiber glass parts, order now before his raises
the prices.

Enjoy,
Terry
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Eric_Shea
post Jul 20 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You mentioned needing to trim their flares to fit, I did too, but assumed it was on purpose to allow extra material to fit any 914.

I'm using factory steel flares.

I mentioned having issues with the ends of the front "valance". They were so far off it was insane. They stuck out by 2" on either side. Almost like they were made for some weird big flare but... I never saw anything like that on their site.

Maybe it's just the GT pieces... maybe they've gotten better molds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Jul 21 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #3

Old Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 20 2010, 02:50 PM) *

You mentioned needing to trim their flares to fit, I did too, but assumed it was on purpose to allow extra material to fit any 914.

I mentioned having issues with the ends of the front "valance". They were so far off it was insane. They stuck out by 2" on either side. Almost like they were made for some weird big flare but... I never saw anything like that on their site.

Maybe it's just the GT pieces... maybe they've gotten better molds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Hey Eric,

Something I learned the hard way: we have jumped into "there is no such thing
as Bolt-On" world. All I can say about the mis-match fit of your flares is that something is way off on the front of your car....OR...you will have to find a way
to cut & weld the flares so they will fit.

Once one lets go of the belief that "Someone Else" will supply you a part that is GUARANTEED to fit, the sooner he can gasp the enpowerment of taking control of all parts to fit as desired. I don't mean this to sound sappy!

Just today, I was cruising sites that showed forming fender flares from steel sheet.
They had used an English Wheel and made some 6 pieces that were welded together to make a fender flare.

Since you have the flares already, can you see a way to cut pie sections out of them to make them fit? To do good welding, I have just read about using a Jeweler's torch to do the minimum heating while welding body panels. I found the torch on eBay for $136, but it requires the tanks & regulators of a normal Oxy-acetelyne torch.

In closing, you CAN do it, if you take a careful & slow approach to achieving the desired results.

BTW: There are many books on Amazon on this subject.

Best,
Terry
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 5 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #4

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(stewteral @ Jul 21 2010, 10:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 20 2010, 02:50 PM) *

Hey Eric,

Something I learned the hard way: we have jumped into "there is no such thing
as Bolt-On" world. All I can say about the mis-match fit of your flares is that something is way off on the front of your car....OR...you will have to find a way

Once one lets go of the belief that "Someone Else" will supply you a part that is GUARANTEED to fit, the sooner he can gasp the enpowerment of taking control of all parts to fit as desired. I don't mean this to sound sappy!

Just today, I was cruising sites that showed forming fender flares from steel sheet.
They had used an English Wheel and made some 6 pieces that were welded together to make a fender flare.

Since you have the flares already, can you see a way to cut pie sections out of them to make them fit? To do good welding, I have just read about using a Jeweler's torch to do the minimum heating while welding body panels. I found the torch on eBay for $136, but it requires the tanks & regulators of a normal Oxy-acetelyne torch.

In closing, you CAN do it, if you take a careful & slow approach to achieving the desired results.

BTW: There are many books on Amazon on this subject.

Best,
Terry

Ummm... my car is basically done and there's nothing wrong with the front end or the Porsche factory flares. So no books to read no torches to buy and... really no reason to cut perfectly good factory metal flares when crappy fiberglass is much less of a hassle and investment to whack away at. But, I'm sure you're overly knowledgable on that rational.

I did mention in my very first post:
I know glass is glass and it all needs work but this wasn't substancial - it was severe...

So I wasn't looking for bolt on. My post made that clear (or so I thought). I wasn't holding on to a "belief" that someone else should supply a decent product. I don't think I was under any illusion or even mentioned that the glass would/should be GUARANTEED or should fit right out of the box. I immediately gasped (sic) my empowerment, took control (in much less time than it took to pontificate in this thread) and decided it was probably best to spend the money fixing the RennSpeed crap vs. tying up the shop while we waited for better quality glass to come in. In the end it was an $800 decision and it's done. The picture I posted in the thread showed only some of the severity of the condition of the Rennspeed glass.

All I can say about the mis-match fit of your flares is that something is way off on the front of your car....OR...you will have to find a way

It couldn't be the really crappy RennSpeed fiberglass right? Must be my front end or my flares... and you came to this conclusion how? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Bottom line Terry: This ain't my first Rodeo. Just my first Rodeo with such bad fiberglass. "Really" bad fiberglass. I sincerely hope it's gotten much better.

Here's some pics of the process and body work:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2057...mp;l=b421a958ac

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2113...mp;l=d147b32ef5

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2556...mp;l=3c26455147

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3924...mp;l=7c2510bef5
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
stewteral   Great fiber glass body parts at the best prices   Jun 3 2010, 11:10 PM
blabla914   Thanks Terry. Your opinion definately counts with...   Jun 17 2010, 10:51 AM
stewteral   [quote name='blabla914' post='1331932' date='Jun 1...   Jul 18 2010, 02:35 PM
Silverstreak   Wow, those really are some great prices.   Jul 18 2010, 02:01 PM
rickthejetman   Hey stewteral what are those awesome scoops for an...   Jul 18 2010, 04:51 PM
stewteral   Hey stewteral what are those awesome scoops for a...   Jul 25 2010, 11:29 PM
rickthejetman   Hey stewteral what are those awesome scoops for ...   Jul 26 2010, 06:21 AM
stewteral   [quote name='stewteral' post='1347894' date='Jul ...   Jul 26 2010, 02:30 PM
rickthejetman   Hey rickthejetman, Thanks for he explanation. I ...   Jul 27 2010, 02:24 PM
stewteral   Hey rickthejetman, Thanks for he explanation. I...   Jul 27 2010, 11:06 PM
rickthejetman   ==> FYI: On my car I have 2 oilcoolers w/ a fa...   Jul 28 2010, 11:19 AM
stewteral   ==> FYI: On my car I have 2 oilcoolers w/ a f...   Jul 28 2010, 02:17 PM
rickthejetman   i have seen that page before that car is absolutle...   Jul 28 2010, 06:40 PM
rickthejetman   [u]So you're a SOCAL guy, I'm up the coa...   Jul 28 2010, 06:56 PM
stewteral   [u]So you're a SOCAL guy, I'm up the co...   Jul 28 2010, 08:05 PM
Eric_Shea   Hate to pee in the Cheerio's but... I have no...   Jul 18 2010, 05:56 PM
stewteral   Hate to pee in the Cheerio's but... I have n...   Jul 19 2010, 10:36 AM
Randal   To all 914 pushers: I took a run to RennSpeed Mo...   Jul 18 2010, 06:02 PM
stewteral   [quote name='stewteral' post='1327668' date='Jun ...   Jul 19 2010, 10:38 AM
Randal   Having gone through a complete noise bleed with...   Jul 19 2010, 07:58 PM
stewteral   Having gone through a complete noise bleed wit...   Jul 20 2010, 01:56 PM
Eric_Shea   I'm using factory steel flares. I mentioned...   Jul 20 2010, 03:50 PM
stewteral   I'm using factory steel flares. I mentione...   Jul 21 2010, 10:14 PM
Eric_Shea   [quote name='Eric_Shea' post='1345782' date='Jul ...   Aug 5 2010, 11:09 PM
rickthejetman   another view   Jul 28 2010, 06:42 PM
rickthejetman   here is my front radiator setup.   Jul 28 2010, 06:43 PM
rickthejetman   another view with my hard lines now i'm strip...   Jul 28 2010, 06:46 PM
J P Stein   I have never cared for the look of the GT flares (...   Aug 6 2010, 05:59 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 04:41 AM