Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How to hook up factory dash temp combo gauge?
Porscheman912
post Aug 5 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,492
Region Association: None

I had to replace my gauges in my car, or have them rebuilt, but I just bought some used ones. The fuel gauge has the combo temp gauge in it. There were wires still hooked up on the back, because they were cut, and I know where the power wire comes from, fuel gauge, but there was a green wire with black dots or stripes. Where does that wire go, or is there a factory place to hook in the wiring harness, plus where is the sending unit located, and do I need to get one, or is one already there? This is a 75 1.8 car. Any help would be great.
Thank you
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
realred914
post Aug 5 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

ps temp sending unit is located on bottom of engine, off tot eh side where there is a round stmped steel plate. the plate is retained by two screws, the plate is either flat with no sendor, or it is the special plate with provision for a sendor. if you plate is flat, you'll need the sendor and the correct plate and cover plate and gaskets.

later cars often had the wires already in teh harness for use if you get the optional ceneter cousul gages. the wires if they are present shoudl terminate near the floor under the dash in teh center of the car, they run thru the tunnel many early cars did not come with these wires preinstalled so you have to add them yourself. might as well run a couple extra wires while your at it, for later use (maybe add a pressure gage, or coil volta gage, etc....)

so see if you have some extra wires in a bundle under teh dash near the floor. you might already be wired for the gages. youwill likely have to extend the factory wires as they were ment for the gage to be in the center consul, not up in the dash like your neato combo gage is.

good lcuk
+Quote Post
Porscheman912
post Aug 5 2010, 11:27 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,492

QUOTE(realred914 @ Aug 5 2010, 09:41 AM) *

ps temp sending unit is located on bottom of engine, off tot eh side where there is a round stmped steel plate. the plate is retained by two screws, the plate is either flat with no sendor, or it is the special plate with provision for a sendor. if you plate is flat, you'll need the sendor and the correct plate and cover plate and gaskets.

later cars often had the wires already in teh harness for use if you get the optional ceneter cousul gages. the wires if they are present shoudl terminate near the floor under the dash in teh center of the car, they run thru the tunnel many early cars did not come with these wires preinstalled so you have to add them yourself. might as well run a couple extra wires while your at it, for later use (maybe add a pressure gage, or coil volta gage, etc....)

so see if you have some extra wires in a bundle under teh dash near the floor. you might already be wired for the gages. youwill likely have to extend the factory wires as they were ment for the gage to be in the center consul, not up in the dash like your neato combo gage is.

good lcuk

Ok, so there should be wires already in the harness. the car is a 75, and that is what the gauge cluster came from. I know what plate you are talking about, and I have seen them before on a customers car, I am an engine builder. I just had to replace my speedo cable, and found the wires you are talking about, they are just behind the shifter in my car. So, all I have to do is to run a wire from there to the gauge, and then find where it is in the engine bay. That will be easy. Thank you very much for your reply. I did not think about those wires having the one wire I needed in it. The gauge still has the blue wire with red stripe that comes from the fuel gauge for 12v power. The ground wire was not there, so thank you for that bit of info to.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:02 AM