Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Do I need to lock steering wheel when flat towing?!, Gotta get to MUSR!
BigDBass
post Oct 12 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Dumb Question Champion

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,405
Region Association: Upper MidWest

A mere. 22 hours 'til MUSR departure.

I'm flat towing the 914 with my Honda Odyssey using a Harbor Freight tow bar and Rennenmetal bracket.

I was unable to hook it all up and test it out over the weekend as planned. Working on that now.

Do I need to lock the steering wheel? I searched but only saw references to locking steering when towing backwards on a dolly. I am flat towing forwards.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Lennies914
post Oct 12 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #2

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

You do NOT lock the steering wheel when flat towing. Also, do not back up. Not even a little.
Have a fun & safe trip.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
andys
post Oct 13 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Oct 12 2010, 06:09 PM) *

You do NOT lock the steering wheel when flat towing. Also, do not back up. Not even a little.
Have a fun & safe trip.

Actually you can back up if you employ an old trick. Attach two bungee cords through the hole in the bottom of the center spoke of the steering wheel (if you have a three spoke wheel with holes). Attach the other end of each bungee low to the door (if the panel is removed) or perhaps to the seat track. The other bungee to the opposite side. I found the stout trucker's type bungee works well, but use your head when determining how stiff it needs to be; obviously you don't want to lock it in place too firmly. With this method, the car will still track the tow vehicle just fine going forward, but provides just enough resistance to allow you to back up thus minimizing the chance of the wheels camming-over. You'll be able to make some reasonable turns while backing as well, just don't try to over do it.

Andys
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 11:42 AM