Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Side mirrors, one or two
Niklas
post Nov 14 2010, 03:27 AM
Post #1

Porsche 914 Sweden

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,488
Region Association: Scandinavia

Hello!

Should 914 have one ore two side mirrors ?

Niklas
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Niklas
post Nov 14 2010, 09:22 AM
Post #2

Porsche 914 Sweden

Member No.: 10,488
Region Association: Scandinavia

Was it standard with both sides in any country ( sweden ) ?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 14 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Niklas @ Nov 14 2010, 10:22 AM) *

I can tell you only this - thr late 72 US passenger doors were equipped with welded nuts inside the door for fitting a second mirror. All you needed to do was drill a hole, get a right side mirror (or fklip the left side) and mount. Though I would appreciate the extra mirror, I won't drill holes in my my 914.

Anal? Yep.
Pat
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 16 2010, 06:30 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 14 2010, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Niklas @ Nov 14 2010, 10:22 AM) *

I can tell you only this - thr late 72 US passenger doors were equipped with welded nuts inside the door for fitting a second mirror. All you needed to do was drill a hole, get a right side mirror (or fklip the left side) and mount. Though I would appreciate the extra mirror, I won't drill holes in my my 914.

Anal? Yep.
Pat

Pat & Niklas - those holes were on all passenger side doors 70-76 MYs.

Many of us other than Pat put them on the passenger side door for safety's sake - & to keep our 914's in one piece while driving ~ hopefully. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Since it was factory standard in some markets & an available option from dealers or for a factory ordered 914, adding them should not cause one to be gigged/docked CW points IMHO.

IIRC it was Sweden & 1 or 2 other markets where the pass. side mirrors were required which prompted the Porsche/VW JV to set-up the R doors to accept them & to make the very slightly convex R-side mirror (still available).

However, be aware that the metal mirror housings are the same on both sides & the part no. stamped into it will be upside down on the passenger one, so the only way to tell which is which is literally to look in them both together side-by-side & see which shows your face bigger (& uglier in my case! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) & that's the R-side one with the slight convex effect. I had to do that when I ordered 2 new ones for my resto last year, & thought that I got the wrong one sent for the R-side!

Niklas - if you've bought 4 new L mirrors for those 2 914s - then you may want to try to exchange the 2 right side ones for the proper convex ones from whomever you bought them originally (dealer, AA, PP/Automotion, etc.), since they're still available new in R-side convex from Porsche.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 02:12 AM