Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I need some expertise here, Flywheel question
steeks
post Dec 14 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,310
Region Association: None

I have a 72 1.7. Has anyone ever seen or heard or the TDC mark on the impeller being marked as a "0"? About 2" after the timing mark, there is a "0" that comes into view through the V shaped notch in the impeller shroud. Please help. I think I set my valves to the timing marks!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Joe Owensby
post Dec 14 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #2

JoeO

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,385
Region Association: South East States

There is already a mark on the flywheel. I painted mine with a little white paint to make it a little easier to see when looking through the hole in the bottom of the transmission. Turn the motor over until the mark is at the hole. This is the position to adjust both valves on the cylinder 2 or 4. The first time you do this, you can go to the top side of the motor and using a screwdriver pry the top piece of engine tin back a little so that you can place a small dot of paint at the top of the flywheel, 180 degrees away from the original mark. Once this is done, I just put the car into 5th gear and rotate the engine by pushing on the tires until one of the marks is at the hole on the bottom. Then, look to see which pair of valves are closed, either 2 or 4. Adjust both of these. Turn the engine over with the tires until the second mark comes up. If you do this by pushing the tires in the same direction as the car would be going forward, the next position will be the next cylinder on the firing order. Repeat this 4 times and you are done. For me, this is a lot simpler than trying to see which valves are open and closed, etc. and then trying to remember which ones I had adjusted. The other way may be better for some, but not for me. JoeO
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 04:34 PM