Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Type IV main bearing set, Are they back?
Kansas 914
post Dec 30 2010, 07:41 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I got an email from CIP1 saying my previous order is now in stock. Is this the right bearing set - assuming it hasn't align bored and the crank is stock?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...2D198%2D481%2DA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jake Raby
post Dec 30 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I am awaiting a set of the Silverline mains to measure and critique when we return from our Holiday shutdown..

I made a detailed post on my forums about the my previous experiences with these silverline bearings.. Only time will tell if the bearings are in better than they used to be. The specs of these bearings are all over the place, excess bearing clearances, not enough clearance and the bearings weigh significantly less than any other on the market. Seldom when bore sizing the bearings they were seldom even close to being round.

The previous quality of the silverline bearings was so horrible that I'd rather reuse old bearings as to use them in one of my engines..

I'd rather have no parts as junk parts.

I'd recommend that anyone using any bearing that comes back on the market to approach the assembly and blueprinting with great care, despite who manufactures the bearings. The last word we heard from Mahle was if the bearings ever come back the center mains won't even be steel backed, which is something thats done for a really big reason. They did this to T1 bearing sets as well.

My fear is someone saw a huge void in the market and did a run of these to make a quick buck and they threw QC out the window. Approach with great care..

FWIW- One day the companies that took advantage of this bearing situation will see just how much of a Bitch karma really is.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Dec 30 2010, 08:07 PM
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Dec 31 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

You are the authority with the last word to comment on these Jake, that is for sure. If YOU approve the silverline then we can all use them.
In the meantime, we have ONLY Porsche factory and VW factory bearings on the shelf that we too were taken advantage of because of the limited market.
We have them though!

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 30 2010, 07:02 PM) *

I am awaiting a set of the Silverline mains to measure and critique when we return from our Holiday shutdown..

I made a detailed post on my forums about the my previous experiences with these silverline bearings.. Only time will tell if the bearings are in better than they used to be. The specs of these bearings are all over the place, excess bearing clearances, not enough clearance and the bearings weigh significantly less than any other on the market. Seldom when bore sizing the bearings they were seldom even close to being round.

The previous quality of the silverline bearings was so horrible that I'd rather reuse old bearings as to use them in one of my engines..

I'd rather have no parts as junk parts.

I'd recommend that anyone using any bearing that comes back on the market to approach the assembly and blueprinting with great care, despite who manufactures the bearings. The last word we heard from Mahle was if the bearings ever come back the center mains won't even be steel backed, which is something thats done for a really big reason. They did this to T1 bearing sets as well.

My fear is someone saw a huge void in the market and did a run of these to make a quick buck and they threw QC out the window. Approach with great care..

FWIW- One day the companies that took advantage of this bearing situation will see just how much of a Bitch karma really is.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 04:43 AM