Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Front Oil Cooler, How do you vent
MikeSpraggi
post Feb 16 2011, 03:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looking to get some ideas about where/how to vent air from the front oil cooler for my track car. I would prefer not to vent through the hood since I want to do some vintage racing and try to keep the car close in appearance to the /6 GT's of the day. Show some pics if you would. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jt914-6
post Feb 16 2011, 08:32 AM
Post #2

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

Mike...are you going to use a stock fuel tank or a trunk mounted fuel cell??? If you're going to use the stock tank/location you could get the "GT" shroud...but as you can see in my pic, using a cell, mine is a 12 gal, you don't have much room around the cooler. Mine is enclosed with a two speed fan. The outlet hose is routed out under the car behind the steering rack. Just driving the air flow through the cooler/fan works fine. But on the track I use the fan to help cool when the temp. gets to about 220......

Attached Image
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Feb 16 2011, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Feb 16 2011, 07:32 AM) *

Mike...are you going to use a stock fuel tank or a trunk mounted fuel cell??? If you're going to use the stock tank/location you could get the "GT" shroud...but as you can see in my pic, using a cell, mine is a 12 gal, you don't have much room around the cooler. Mine is enclosed with a two speed fan. The outlet hose is routed out under the car behind the steering rack. Just driving the air flow through the cooler/fan works fine. But on the track I use the fan to help cool when the temp. gets to about 220......

Attached Image

I too have a 12 gal fuel cell in the front trunk, not enough room for the GT style shroud. Speaking of the GT shroud, is there any concern regarding lift at high speeds on the track? My engine is a 2.2l six, not quite stock, but almost (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . I was thinking of some type of venting through the front wheelwell.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 16 2011, 12:12 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Feb 16 2011, 08:29 AM) *
My engine is a 2.2l six, not quite stock, but almost

For a small /6 like that, you should be fine to hang the cooler in front of the trunk directly in the air-stream and not vent into the trunk at all.

Some of the early GT cars did just that, the cooler is simply mounted under the bumper. If you run a custom "lip", you can even divert any warm air off to the sides and prevent it from getting under the car.

No cutting the trunk and no additional warm air under the car ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 07:32 AM