Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Oil Cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeSpraggi
Looking to get some ideas about where/how to vent air from the front oil cooler for my track car. I would prefer not to vent through the hood since I want to do some vintage racing and try to keep the car close in appearance to the /6 GT's of the day. Show some pics if you would. Thanks.
Mark Henry
I wouldn't vent a front cooler, it's under pressure from the scavenge side of the pump. You would vent the sump tank, be it in the front or back.
pcar916
Folks have vented cooling air out of the wheel wells or under the car. But your air flow won't be as much. Out the hood is illegal in SCCA production classes anyway, it's an aerodynamic aid. Yeah.

What motor? I have to get big air since the 3.6 uses the front cooler as the primary one.
brant
I've vented 2 different configurations out the bottom, also 1 car through the hood, and 1 car through the headlight buckets
(also one car with a rear mounted trunk cooler not vented)

If your going to go vintage racing and keep stock appearance then:
-headlights are a super amount of work to do right
-GT style front trunk shroud is the easiest and probably best if you don't do the hood or headlights
jt914-6
Mike...are you going to use a stock fuel tank or a trunk mounted fuel cell??? If you're going to use the stock tank/location you could get the "GT" shroud...but as you can see in my pic, using a cell, mine is a 12 gal, you don't have much room around the cooler. Mine is enclosed with a two speed fan. The outlet hose is routed out under the car behind the steering rack. Just driving the air flow through the cooler/fan works fine. But on the track I use the fan to help cool when the temp. gets to about 220......

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Pretty Simple:

IPB Image

IPB Image

MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Feb 16 2011, 07:32 AM) *

Mike...are you going to use a stock fuel tank or a trunk mounted fuel cell??? If you're going to use the stock tank/location you could get the "GT" shroud...but as you can see in my pic, using a cell, mine is a 12 gal, you don't have much room around the cooler. Mine is enclosed with a two speed fan. The outlet hose is routed out under the car behind the steering rack. Just driving the air flow through the cooler/fan works fine. But on the track I use the fan to help cool when the temp. gets to about 220......

Click to view attachment

I too have a 12 gal fuel cell in the front trunk, not enough room for the GT style shroud. Speaking of the GT shroud, is there any concern regarding lift at high speeds on the track? My engine is a 2.2l six, not quite stock, but almost dry.gif . I was thinking of some type of venting through the front wheelwell.
SirAndy
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Feb 16 2011, 08:29 AM) *
My engine is a 2.2l six, not quite stock, but almost

For a small /6 like that, you should be fine to hang the cooler in front of the trunk directly in the air-stream and not vent into the trunk at all.

Some of the early GT cars did just that, the cooler is simply mounted under the bumper. If you run a custom "lip", you can even divert any warm air off to the sides and prevent it from getting under the car.

No cutting the trunk and no additional warm air under the car ...
shades.gif
SirAndy
Funny,
you asked the same question two years ago and i posted a pic of one of the early GT's in that thread ... biggrin.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94924

IPB Image
dflesburg
heck with the rules!

color outside the lines!
moparrob
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2011, 10:15 AM) *

Funny,
you asked the same question two years ago and i posted a pic of one of the early GT's in that thread ... biggrin.gif

av-943.gif

That likely means one of two things. He is either a) old enough to forget what he learned yesterday (I'm getting that way) or b) his car has been on jackstands for so long that he simply forgot issue #21964 while dealing with the rest of the issues, in order to get the thing on the road again...
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2011, 11:15 AM) *

Funny,

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94924

IPB Image

Not Funny ..... birth certificate syndrome biggrin.gif. And yes, I will be asking how to remove the jackstands from under the car.
moparrob
Jackstand removal is typically facilitated by investing large sums of money into the project, to be followed by an equally large investment of time. Good friends and beer can help reduce the time frame beer3.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(moparrob @ Feb 16 2011, 01:27 PM) *
Good friends and beer can help reduce the time frame beer3.gif

Or at least skew the perception of said time-frame ... drunk.gif
DanT
back on topic biggrin.gif

15 1.5" holes in trunk floor cut with hole saw.
25 row oil cooler mounted directly over grid of holes
1600CFM fan pushing air thru cooler out bottom of car (only used after coming off track, car never got hot while driving with this setup.)
all the rubber plugs pulled from the front bulk head and matching holes drilled in front valence for air.
moparrob
I just found these louvered panels online. They might be kinda cool...

Louvers

confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.