Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A couple newbie questions
JayKoit
post Jun 6 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,158
Region Association: Southern California

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie thats still getting his feet wet, so bear with me.

I've been hanging out in the forums here and had a couple questions:

-What makes a Raby inspired engine?

-What is a CW restoration? what does CW stand for?

-I'm hoping to get a 914 to restore in the near future. If I don't find one with the GT flared fenders, is it really difficult to put them on a standard 914?

Like i said, I'm green and I'm still learning. Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
eric9144
post Jun 6 2011, 02:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

-What makes a Raby inspired engine?

Go see @ www.aircooledtechnology.com He's a site member and all around TypeIV guru.

Concours winning!

GT flared fenders, is it really difficult to put them on a standard 914?

No, well if you're a body guy then no, they are available and easily installed...

Good luck with your search, 914's are addicting and quite fun to drive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 6 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 6 2011, 01:57 PM) *

Concours winning!

... well, errr - it also can stand for Concours Weenie or Concours Wanker, etc.! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
....... and I can say this, cuz I've apparently inadvertantly become one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Basically a CW car is a 914 that is factory original and/or kept/preserved or restored to perfect condition as either an original or in some cases a modified example (e.g.: a "tribute" resto conversion to 914-6/GT look/stds.), which is entered in Concours d'Elegance events with the Porsche Club of America (PCA), VW & Car Clubs, etc. (or capable of such entry/competition - even if the owner doesn't do so).

BTW - most local PCA CdE's are really a contest about who can be the most anal about keeping their P-cars perfectly clean & well maintained - including the oddest nooks-n-crannies, since originality is not judged until the National "Parade" level & some close tie-breakers for Zone CdE competitions. So you could really enter any set-up 914 that was close to original in your local PCA shows if you wanted to for fun (even just "Wash-n-Shine").

PCA isn't a bad deal, since for $42/yr you'll get 2 magazines monthly (Panoram/national & your LA Region's), you'll get about 20% off of Porsche parts & goodies from the dealers, and will save about $20 on your Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from Porsche Cars of North America (PCNA) - if you wanted one; as well as the "social," CdE, Autocross (AX), Drivers' Ed (DE) & race events.

There's the OC Region's CdE coming up this weekend on 6/11 in Dana Point if you're interested in seeing a bunch of P-cars near the Beach (9a - 2p at Lantern Bay Park).

On the flares, IMHO stick with the steel flares for better rigidity & a uniform body, not to mention being more durable (even if a tad heavier). Keep in mind that the extra wide tires under those flares will eat up both mpg & hp on your stock-ish Type-IV motors (1.7, 1.8 & 2.0), and even on the built-up ones noted below - while they improve the stickiness on the curves. A stock 914 in what are now considered "skinny" tires (155R15 & 165R15) are no slouches in handling the curves, and even a modest 185/70R15 - 195/65R15 upgrade was/is a terror, without having to flare a 914 (i.e.: on a "narrow body 914").

On the Raby motors, read up the links on that website, and also check out FAT Performance (Orange) & Original Customs (Napa - McMark on here & at banner ads & member vendors) for built up Type-IV motors, and West Coast Motors/Cap'n Krusty on here (Santa Maria), Otto's (Venice), Aase (Fullerton), Der Buggy (Garden Grove),Bill Brewster (San Clemente), etc. for some local T-4 SoCal engine builders.

I already welcomed you on your first post the other night, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) so ...

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 08:20 AM