Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Suspension Advice Needed, Front bars, shocks and rear springs.
jmill
post May 22 2011, 09:08 AM
Post #41

Green Hornet

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Building a Street/Track car, think more track than street. The car is flared with 16x7's and 16x8's. Building a 2.4 6 with 2.2S p/c's and 911 front suspension. I need some advice on front torsion bar size, rear springs, inserts/shocks, and sway bar size. Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

And what do you guys think about these?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
brant
post Jun 8 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #42

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

JP,

not arguing
but now I'm curious
I get a ton of rear brake wear/heat
never enough to want to go back to my old cars vented rear rotors... never a problem.

but I'm wearing through rear brake pads 2 to 1 over the front
same compound front and rear

fronts are vented with S calipers (knock backs gutted)
rears are 914 front early calipers moved to the back (same pad as a M caliper)

I think the 914/4 front may have a tiny bit smaller piston than a true 911 front M caliper (even though the pad size is the same)

maybe its the 1-2mm smaller piston?

I've fabricated all new rear brake lines, but I think they were of stock diameter.

I'm running an adjustable proportioning valve (that I dare not open all of the way)

our engine weights were similar, although your car weight may have been a bit less than mine.

still I would say similiar chassis.... yet I'm buring through 2 sets of rear pads to ever front and getting tons of rear brake.

maybe heat?... maybe pad compound that is working in the heat I'm getting? I dunno... but I have AMPLE rear brakes and have to dial them off a bit

I change my brake proportioning bias about once a weekend to accomodate warm, cold, or wet track

now I'm curious
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 8 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #43

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

QUOTE(brant @ Jun 8 2011, 07:26 PM) *

JP,

not arguing
but now I'm curious
I get a ton of rear brake wear/heat
never enough to want to go back to my old cars vented rear rotors... never a problem.

but I'm wearing through rear brake pads 2 to 1 over the front
same compound front and rear

fronts are vented with S calipers (knock backs gutted)
rears are 914 front early calipers moved to the back (same pad as a M caliper)

I think the 914/4 front may have a tiny bit smaller piston than a true 911 front M caliper (even though the pad size is the same)

maybe its the 1-2mm smaller piston?

I've fabricated all new rear brake lines, but I think they were of stock diameter.

I'm running an adjustable proportioning valve (that I dare not open all of the way)

our engine weights were similar, although your car weight may have been a bit less than mine.

still I would say similiar chassis.... yet I'm buring through 2 sets of rear pads to ever front and getting tons of rear brake.

maybe heat?... maybe pad compound that is working in the heat I'm getting? I dunno... but I have AMPLE rear brakes and have to dial them off a bit

I change my brake proportioning bias about once a weekend to accomodate warm, cold, or wet track

now I'm curious

I'm no expert ( no real racin' here) but have an opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I think you've nailed it with the word "heat".
It is not for nothing that vented rotors are the choice for racers. Heat is a killer.
It is not just the venting but also the size of the "heat sink". If you don't want to go vented rears you should start looking for some ducting to cool the rears......tho I doubt they would work very well with solid rotors. You could also use more heat resistant pad in back....an iffy proposition till everything gets up to temp.
Personally, I'd go to vented rotors, eat the weight penalty, & be done with it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 8 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #44

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 8 2011, 08:55 PM) *

I'm no expert ( no real racin' here) but have an opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I think you've nailed it with the word "heat".
It is not for nothing that vented rotors are the choice for racers. Heat is a killer.
It is not just the venting but also the size of the "heat sink". If you don't want to go vented rears you should start looking for some ducting to cool the rears......tho I doubt they would work very well with solid rotors. You could also use more heat resistant pad in back....an iffy proposition till everything gets up to temp.
Personally, I'd go to vented rotors, eat the weight penalty, & be done with it.

Actually I'm not having any problems with it, No need to change to the heavy vented rear rotors
- I have all of the rear brake I can use in balance with my front S calipers
- my pad life is still about 10 full track days, so pad life is not a concern for me
- I never over heat the rear brakes.... (or fronts for that matter)

the only reason I brought it up was that Ive heard multiple people claim they don't have enough rear brake even with the proportioning valve fully open...
yet I have plenty... I can open the valve further and lock the rears first at will
so I'm just curious what is different in the set ups to make mine well balanced?

no need to change anything on mine... I've got what I want and what others can't seam to achieve.

I used to have vented rear rotors on a different teener race car
maybe if I had another 100hp I'd feel differently (although I doubt it)
but I don't need them... can't see adding the weight back if it only makes you heavier-slower....

besides. These are momentum cars. If you are heating your brakes too much with 200hp, you are just braking too much. I've known faster guys than I in teeners that have even smaller brakes without problem... they just don't brake much and they are faster for it.

actually the fastest real racers I know don't use vented. On the race tracks (don't know autox) if you talk to some of the true 914 drivers (such as Allen Johnson in a 205hp 4-cylinder) They will run laptimes faster than the 500hp mustangs, corvette's and camaro's and do it all without big brakes. You can't run those kind of lap times if your braking much.

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
jmill   Suspension Advice Needed   May 22 2011, 09:08 AM
J P Stein   Building a Street/Track car, think more track tha...   May 22 2011, 10:17 AM
Downunderman   The very first thing to decide is whether you are ...   May 22 2011, 02:43 PM
jjackson   The very first thing to decide is whether you are...   May 22 2011, 03:08 PM
jmill   Thanks for the input guys. I want to go as far as...   May 22 2011, 03:30 PM
J P Stein   Thanks for the input guys. I want to go as far a...   May 22 2011, 07:33 PM
jmill   Tried calling Clint from Rebel Racing and his mach...   May 25 2011, 01:26 PM
jjackson   Tried calling Clint from Rebel Racing and his mac...   May 25 2011, 02:02 PM
grantsfo   Tried calling Clint from Rebel Racing and his ma...   Jun 6 2011, 01:59 PM
jjackson   [quote name='jjackson' post='1483471' date='May 2...   Jun 6 2011, 03:05 PM
Randal   [quote name='jjackson' post='1483471' date='May ...   Jun 7 2011, 10:10 AM
jmill   Alright, bought a boat load of stuff from PMB and ...   Jun 2 2011, 07:40 PM
jjackson   Alright, bought a boat load of stuff from PMB and...   Jun 2 2011, 08:28 PM
PeeGreen 914   Around $6 to $7k the last timeI talked t...   Jun 7 2011, 10:20 AM
J P Stein   Around $6 to $7k the last timeI talked ...   Jun 7 2011, 01:27 PM
grantsfo   [quote name='PeeGreen 914' post='1489884' date='J...   Jun 7 2011, 04:08 PM
J P Stein   When JP's car was beaten by stock Miatas...   Jun 7 2011, 06:18 PM
PeeGreen 914   There are many mods you can do at different price ...   Jun 7 2011, 02:21 PM
PeeGreen 914   There is no question that an adjustable shock is n...   Jun 7 2011, 04:28 PM
jmill   Easy fellas.... We'll zip'em down and show...   Jun 7 2011, 07:04 PM
J P Stein   Easy fellas.... We'll zip'em down and sho...   Jun 7 2011, 08:16 PM
Randal   So in round numbers: Koni's - less than ...   Jun 7 2011, 08:02 PM
grantsfo   I would talk with Performance Shock. He offered m...   Jun 7 2011, 08:32 PM
jmill   911 M rear calipers are a good match for the A f...   Jun 7 2011, 09:27 PM
brant   You'll have to excuse my ignorance. Whats th...   Jun 7 2011, 10:10 PM
PeeGreen 914   I'm a bit worried about that myself. Chris ...   Jun 8 2011, 10:14 AM
J P Stein   Greg has said 200-225 is perfect for a 914 wit...   Jun 8 2011, 10:37 AM
grantsfo   I'm a bit worried about that myself. Chris...   Jun 8 2011, 10:59 AM
PeeGreen 914   Remeber setup for AX car is a lot differnt from t...   Jun 8 2011, 01:41 PM
J P Stein   SCs are 'M'. The problem I had with The st...   Jun 8 2011, 07:42 AM
J P Stein   BTW: "nothing to show for it". With Brit...   Jun 8 2011, 10:50 AM
PeeGreen 914   BTW: "nothing to show for it". With Bri...   Jun 8 2011, 01:44 PM
J P Stein   ] JP, let me ask this honestly, is this because ...   Jun 8 2011, 08:14 PM
sooba_dave   My $ .02. In the January Pano, Mr. Mayo an...   Jun 8 2011, 02:01 PM
jmill   Building a Street/Track car, think more track tha...   Jun 8 2011, 08:18 PM
grantsfo   [quote name='jmill' post='1481773' date='May 22 2...   Jun 9 2011, 01:33 PM
brant   JP, not arguing but now I'm curious I get a ...   Jun 8 2011, 08:26 PM
J P Stein   JP, not arguing but now I'm curious I get a...   Jun 8 2011, 08:55 PM
brant   I'm no expert ( no real racin' here) but ...   Jun 8 2011, 11:13 PM
grantsfo   besides. These are momentum cars. If you are he...   Jun 9 2011, 01:56 PM
J P Stein   The problem I had with the rears were with 914 *re...   Jun 8 2011, 11:35 PM
Eric_Shea   This is because I believe you have your theory o...   Jun 9 2011, 06:17 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 09:28 AM