Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Would anyone be interested in stock size torsion bars?
hwgunner
post Jun 16 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #1

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,095
Region Association: None

is there a market? I have a line on a few sets, 17mm. I know people typically "upgrade" to a larger size but what about those that just want to bring it back to (like) stock?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
hwgunner
post Jun 17 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #2

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,095
Region Association: None

OK, I think you guys are talking about 2 different things here. The original factory bars installed in our cars were pre-tensioned from the factory and that is why they marked them left and right. They also put the markings so you can see them when you take off the adjusters/covers. For new bars made by Sway-a-Way and others they, for the most part, are not pre-tensioned (except for some very high dollar race versions, and they will tell you if they are). This means that you can put them in any way you want. that said, if they have been installed in a car and then removed they need to be re-installed in the same orientation because, once used on the car, they become pre-tensioned. Sway-a-Way marks the ends of their bars in the hopes that people will always install the one marked “L” on the left and the one marked “R” on the right, thus avoiding the need to explain. Again, Sway-a-Way says the markings should be facing you as you slide them in the tube for their bars. Brant, it seems that you took the factory install procedure to say the markings go away from you as you install so they are at the closed end of the a-arm. My only comment about that is that of the cars that I have taken apart, they were always facing out. Also, if the stampings were facing in then no one at the factory could easily check Hans’ work, with out taking the bars out.

I guess the bottom line is:

NEW factory bars are pre-tensioned so they need to go in per the letter on the end.

NEW aftermarket bars (most all) can be put in any way you want as long as they stay that way. Why make life difficult, install per the letter on the end!!

Letters in or out?? I say out so it is easy to see what is in the car.

No??
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 05:22 PM