Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Why do Teeners Rust?, Is this the norm?
JawjaPorsche
post Aug 16 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I know Teeners rust. Is this the norm for all Porsche's or just the Teener?

Was very little primer or paint used or not used in the production of the Teener's under carriage? I have seen some rust pictures of Teeners in this forum and I am amazed how much rust they had before they were restored. I know the Hell Hole rusted because the old batteries would over flow with acid because of rain on top of the battery. I know there was a recall and a plastic cover was added.

Inquiring minds want to know!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dave_Darling
post Aug 16 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The only problems specific to the 914 are the battery location and the jack points. Pretty much all older European and Japanese cars are known rusters. They used relatively thin sheet metal (I've heard stories of people giving themselves hernias trying to lift a 60's Cadillac door!) and nobody galvanized car bodies back then.

I've also heard rumors that the Germans, Italians, and Japanese all used recycled steel for their sheet-metal which was more prone to rust than US steel was. That may have been a myth, though.

Primer, paint, and undercoating all help resist rust, but none are perfect. All can be (and will be!) damaged in day to day use, which lets water and (most dangerously!) salt at the bare metal underneath. Galvanization resists this better, but is not immune.

The Porsche factory started partial galvanization of car bodies in 1976. Sadly for us, the 914 never received such treatment, at least not from the factory.

--DD
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 16 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 16 2011, 03:59 PM) *
I've also heard rumors that the Germans, Italians, and Japanese all used recycled steel for their sheet-metal which was more prone to rust than US steel was. That may have been a myth, though.

Not a myth. VW switched in late '72. I'm sure Porsche went that route around that time as well ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 04:13 AM