Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Why do Teeners Rust?, Is this the norm?
JawjaPorsche
post Aug 16 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I know Teeners rust. Is this the norm for all Porsche's or just the Teener?

Was very little primer or paint used or not used in the production of the Teener's under carriage? I have seen some rust pictures of Teeners in this forum and I am amazed how much rust they had before they were restored. I know the Hell Hole rusted because the old batteries would over flow with acid because of rain on top of the battery. I know there was a recall and a plastic cover was added.

Inquiring minds want to know!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Pat Garvey
post Aug 16 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #2

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I suppose (my personal supposition) is that the cars of the late 60's & early 70's used lots of recycled steel (newly foundered steel was expensive then). Recycled steel is weak and prone to early corrosion. There were no changes to this method until late '75, when galvanizing was introduced in Europe (NOT the US), but only on select cars. 914's did not benefit from this.

The 914 was a cheap Porsche. It was never intended to last 40 years. It was meant to be cheap, fun daily transportation for the short run.

Those of us who have preserved these beasts are fortunate to still have them.

I bought a triple black Chevvy Malibu, with every non-SS goodie on it in 1970. Gorgeous car. By '76, with only 80K on it, it was a rustbucket. Traded it on a Rabbit that year that was totalled shortly thereafter. It was no better then the cars prior (fun, but no better).

These old cars were designed for short-term use. They rusted...they will continue to do so.

But then, that is part of the mystique!
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 07:40 AM