Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Carpeted Firewall, What to do about access panel?
andys
post Nov 11 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

So if I replace my backpad with a carpeted one, what do you guys do if you have an access panel? If I glue down the carpet, should I perhaps cut a flap or? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andys
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Scott S
post Nov 11 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #2

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Hi Andys -
I just did this myself. My firewall has been carpeted for several years, so it was a pain in the butt to do the access panel (I had to remove the existing carpet). If yours has yet to be carpeted, it is very easy.

Cut your hole in the car and build up your cover plate. Make sure the coverplate has at least 1" overlap all the way around. I drilled holes for the mounting screws in the plate, then held the plate up to the hole in the firewall and marked where to drill the firewall. There are a ton of different ways you can fasten it. I welded nuts over the holes on the engine side of the firewall - works like a champ.

Then just upohlster everything up using 3M spray adhesive . On the cover plate, wrap it just enough around the edged to stay put. On the firewall, mount the carpet to everything first, then come back and trim. I left the edge of the carpet a half inch away from the acces panel opeing. My thinking was that this is still a firewall, and I want things sealed up tight (no carpet exposed to the engine compartment as any sort of "wick" to the interior).

One thing to note - the rear interior firewall is one compound curve after another. If you think you can just cut square piece of carpet and glue it in, you will not be happy with the results. Get yourself a spray bottle of water and a heat gun or hair dryer. This will allow you stretch and mold the perlon to fit all of the ins and outs of the panel. it took me the better part of a day to get that carpet piece put in where I was happy with the results - and my hand/fingers were sore as hell afterwards.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Razorbobsr
post Nov 14 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,813
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Nov 11 2011, 12:34 PM) *

Hi Andys -
I just did this myself. My firewall has been carpeted for several years, so it was a pain in the butt to do the access panel (I had to remove the existing carpet). If yours has yet to be carpeted, it is very easy.

Cut your hole in the car and build up your cover plate. Make sure the coverplate has at least 1" overlap all the way around. I drilled holes for the mounting screws in the plate, then held the plate up to the hole in the firewall and marked where to drill the firewall. There are a ton of different ways you can fasten it. I welded nuts over the holes on the engine side of the firewall - works like a champ.

Then just upohlster everything up using 3M spray adhesive . On the cover plate, wrap it just enough around the edged to stay put. On the firewall, mount the carpet to everything first, then come back and trim. I left the edge of the carpet a half inch away from the acces panel opeing. My thinking was that this is still a firewall, and I want things sealed up tight (no carpet exposed to the engine compartment as any sort of "wick" to the interior).

One thing to note - the rear interior firewall is one compound curve after another. If you think you can just cut square piece of carpet and glue it in, you will not be happy with the results. Get yourself a spray bottle of water and a heat gun or hair dryer. This will allow you stretch and mold the perlon to fit all of the ins and outs of the panel. it took me the better part of a day to get that carpet piece put in where I was happy with the results - and my hand/fingers were sore as hell afterwards.

Just what does the access panel allow you to get to? How hard is it to remove seats and panel behind seats? Worth inslulating to keep noise down? Bob

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Nov 14 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #4

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Nov 14 2011, 11:34 AM) *

Just what does the access panel allow you to get to? How hard is it to remove seats and panel behind seats? Worth inslulating to keep noise down? Bob

I don't know about the guys with 4 cylinder cars other than to access the fan. But those of us with sixes have fan belts, oil pressure sending units, and distributors there. Changing a fan belt on a 911 when it's staring at you is almost trivial. Not so in a 914-6. Take a look at my picture above of what's reachable for a six and you'll see what I'm talkin' about. Changing out a broken fan belt in the middle of the night on a lonely highway is something you only want to do once. Ok, not even then, but you get the point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
andys   Carpeted Firewall   Nov 11 2011, 10:42 AM
germanv82000   So if I replace my backpad with a carpeted one, w...   Nov 11 2011, 11:00 AM
pcar916   Kinda depends on your access cover. I have mine (n...   Nov 11 2011, 11:25 AM
Scott Schroeder   Hi Andys - I just did this myself. My firewall has...   Nov 11 2011, 11:34 AM
Razorbobsr   Hi Andys - I just did this myself. My firewall ha...   Nov 14 2011, 11:34 AM
pcar916   Just what does the access panel allow you to get ...   Nov 14 2011, 11:58 AM
rfuerst911sc   When I go to do mine I plan on one piece of carpet...   Nov 11 2011, 03:15 PM
andys   Here's a photo of my access panel. I'm th...   Nov 13 2011, 10:51 AM
rohar   Have you thought of cutting a piece of carpet to m...   Nov 13 2011, 11:03 AM
andys   Have you thought of cutting a piece of carpet to ...   Nov 14 2011, 10:46 AM
Vacca Rabite   Bob, If you have a 6, getting to the fan and pull...   Nov 14 2011, 12:12 PM
Razorbobsr   Bob, If you have a 6, getting to the fan and pul...   Nov 15 2011, 10:30 AM
Razorbobsr   Bob, If you have a 6, getting to the fan and pul...   Nov 15 2011, 10:49 AM
Rod   I don't understand why no-one has made a cover...   Nov 14 2011, 02:37 PM
moparrob   I don't understand why no-one has made a cove...   Nov 14 2011, 09:44 PM
nsr-jamie   I don't understand why no-one has made a cove...   Nov 15 2011, 08:49 AM
computers4kids   So if I replace my backpad with a carpeted one, w...   Nov 14 2011, 10:50 PM
andys   I know you're going with carpet, but it seem...   Nov 15 2011, 09:21 AM
clow   I don't understand why no-one has made a cove...   Nov 14 2011, 10:59 PM
pcar916   Gentlemen, it's a firewall. An acrylic cover i...   Nov 15 2011, 09:11 AM
zymurgist   Gentlemen, it's a firewall. An acrylic cover ...   Nov 15 2011, 10:28 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:21 AM