Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> High-pitch noise from transmission
rjames
post Feb 6 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

After installing a new clutch which included installing a new flywheel, a new pilot bearing and a new throwout bearing, I am getting a high pitch whining noise in 5th gear @ 2900-3500 RPMs. It also happens a little in 4th at higher RPMs, but it's in 5th gear where it's really noticable. It goes away immediately when I depress the clutch pedal. It's not the same noise that the old throwout bearing made which caused me to replace the clutch in the first place.

It's not crazy loud, but loud enough to be slightly annoying.I never heard the sound before I replaced the clutch. But then again, I had a bad rear wheel bearing that I replaced with the clutch that might have been drowning it out before.

I was thinking it might be some sort of sympathetic vibration, but then I would expect the noise to happen at the same RPMs regardless of what gear I'm in, but it doesn't happen in 1st, 2nd or 3rd and barely in 4th.

Car drives and shifts fine. (no better or worse than it has for the 7 years I've owned it)

Thoughts?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
pcar916
post Feb 6 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #2

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rjames @ Feb 6 2012, 06:23 PM) *

It goes away immediately when I depress the clutch pedal.
... it doesn't happen in 1st, 2nd or 3rd and barely in 4th.

Silly preliminary question: You did put fluid in it right? Now that that question is out of the way...

1. If you don't depress the clutch and simply decelerate while in 4th, and especially in 5th gear, does it go away or change in any way?

2. When you shift from 4th to 5th does the whine restart and just get louder as you go faster?

3. Is it the same pitch (frequency) the whole time or does it get higher?

4. While in 5th gear, is it the same volume all the time, or does the volume increase with higher speed?

5. While in either 5th and going at a constant speed, will it increase in volume with more acceleration?

Good luck

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
rjames
post Feb 25 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #3

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The weather was finally dry enough the other day where I could take the car out to answer the questions that were asked a while back:

Silly preliminary question: You did put fluid in it right? Now that that question is out of the way...
Checked fluid level was full

1. If you don't depress the clutch and simply decelerate while in 4th, and especially in 5th gear, does it go away or change in any way?
Noise goes away

2. When you shift from 4th to 5th does the whine restart and just get louder as you go faster?
Yes up to ~ 70mph then above 70 it goes away.

3. Is it the same pitch (frequency) the whole time or does it get higher?
Gets higher

4. While in 5th gear, is it the same volume all the time, or does the volume increase with higher speed?
Pitch egs higher, volume doesn't change too much. Happens only in the ~55mh-70mpg range.

5. While in either 5th and going at a constant speed, will it increase in volume with more acceleration?
Mostly just increases in pitch

So if it's the bearing is this something that I have to address any time soon? I don't to trash my transmission for lack of replacing a bearing, but I can live with the noise for a while if it's not going to hurt anything.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 05:04 PM