Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 009 or 050, better of the bad
tat2dphreak
post May 14 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #1

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

which is better? I know the Mallory is better than both of them, but I have 3(now 009s) and a good line on a 050... so which one on my 2056 with dual 40idfs?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
914ghost
post May 15 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #2

BOB

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,387

Differences aren't too subtle and you don't need a Dyno to see the difference in a 009 and an 050.
I removed my 050 a while ago to get parts (thought it was all thesame as 009 parts) but the local Foreign Auto didnt have'm.
So I put a 009 I had in it's place while I ordered the right stuff.
BLEAH!! Thats what the engine said. Literally.
pretty crappy all around- and NOTICABLE. Even on a 1.8 Dual 40 Dell'd engine.
It sucked ass. So I threw in an OLD Bosch 010, you know the old school VW Bus dizzy all the tuners used to use. Worked well. Better than the 009.
The curve was a bit "low" I think. Got the parts for the 050 and shoved it back in.
Back in business, SMOOTH power- that DIDNT flatten out at 3300. I think I had to set the 009 at like 11 oor 12 degrees BTDC (static) to even get the car to drive up a hill.
Of course, you get what you pay for, unless you steal it. So, 050 will work, 009 will also (in a BUG).
I'm sure the Mallory is better, but if I could afford that I'd be rebuilding the 2.7 in my Garage instead of getting rid of it.
-Bob O

Oh, the difference would be the weights and springs (thus totally different advance and curve), and the center shaft the rotor sits on the Cap and rotor are different also. The 050 Has 2 springs, the 009 USUALLY has 1. The brazillian 009 has 2 springs mistakenly installed sometimes. You have to remove one or you get 14 degrees of advance at like 8300 RPM.
Points and condensor (if you have'm- I don't) are the same.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 03:43 AM