Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> SS Brake Lines from Pelican, DOT & non-DOT
thomasotten
post Jun 8 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

Can anyone tell me which of these two sets of brake lines from Pelican are the better ones. One is DOT approved, and cheaper, and the other isn't approved and a few more dollars.

Stainless Steel Brake Line Set, DOT Approved, Includes Front and Rear Lines, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1972-1976), 914-6 (1972 on), Each
SS914D $49.25

Stainless Steel Brake Line Set, Non-DOT Approved, Includes Front and Rear Lines, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1972-1976), 914-6 (1972 on), Each

$54.50
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
JWest
post Jun 9 2004, 08:09 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 97
Region Association: None

I once worked for one of the major automotive performance plumbing companies, so I know a little about the DOT vs non-DOT brake lines. I actually built them for a while!

The normal failure mode for stainless braided teflon hoses is a kink in the line. You can't kink a factory rubber hose, but you can kink a braided stainless line, and failure is eminent once this happens. The kink will nearly always occur next to the fitting.

When we made a DOT version, we used a special fitting with a larger ID. A teflon sleeve was inserted over the stainless braid at the end and crimped into the fitting. This would act as a strain relief so it would be much more difficult to get a kink in the hose.

I think we had to make the DOT hoses a little longer to insure they would not be extended beyond their length during operation.

Interestingly, once a hose exceeded a certain length (maybe 24 inches) there was no need for special fittings for DOT approval. The only requirement was to have "DOT" printed on the braid.

I have failed braided lines that were on cars too long - the customer was lucky I did it in the shop with a hard pedal push rather than have it happen to him out on the road!

For a street car, I recommend new rubber hoses every few years. And if you run braided, replace them every few years too.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 09:04 PM