Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rear Calipers, Replacing old with PMB - What else to Get E-brake to work?
Mblizzard
post Mar 9 2013, 02:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Received CFO approval to order PMB rear calipers on the 17th! Everything about them seems top notch. Anyone else used them? If so what was your impression?

Currently the emergency brake does not work. The handle is operational and the cables seem to move the levers on the calipers. Tried adjusting the pads but the adjusters seem to not move the pads at all. So I am convinced that the problem is in the caliper.

Of course, every time I am convinced I am right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) So I thought I would ask if there was something else I was missing or should anticipate replacing with the calipers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Eric_Shea
post Mar 9 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The same basic thing "can" be happening but, with old calipers it's probably a rusty fluid build up around the sealing ring.

Here's what I recommend for anyone trying to get their old stuck rear calipers working again.

1. Put new fluid in the system. New fluids will help clean.
2. Move the handbrake arm back and forth. That will get the inner pistons moving freely in the bore so you can (hopefully) adjust it.
3. Remove the small c-clip on the outer adjuster and remove the 13mm slim nut. Tap that adjuster in and then push the piston back.
4. Put the nut back on and re-install the c-clip. Now try to adjust the caliper as you normally would. Adjust both pistons (inner and outer) and move them in and out as far as you can. The idea is to get the pistons moving back and forth in the bores with clean fluid. This will help scrub some grunge off the piston walls.
5. Change the fluid again or flush a little more through until it runs clear.

No guarantees with this method, a lot of these smaller adjuster seals are old and hard and will start to leak. If this doesn't get them working again, or, if you have some fluid leaks, it really is time for a rebuild.

Hope that helps.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:39 PM