Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Crush washer and Oil Screen Question, Not dumb questions, dumb people!
JawjaPorsche
post May 30 2013, 06:29 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Okay, I have taken yall advice and I just removed the oil screen from my 1.7.

Crush washer: I removed the old washer and just put the new on in place of it? What is the purpose of the crush washer? Why not a regular washer. Remember, I am new to this.

Also there was a small broken rubber washer (see picture) when I removed the cover. Does anyone know what it was for and do I need it.

Again, thank you so much your understanding of a novice mechanic. Your answers are appreciated as usual.

Terry

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
TheCabinetmaker
post May 30 2013, 06:58 AM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

The crush washer is what seals the bolts. You need 2. One for the drain plug and one for the sump bolt. There is NO rubber washer. Someone put that rubber on there in an attempt to quell an oil leak. Probably cause they did not have the proper crush washer. That was the same person who put the sump back together without the gaskets. Maybe some unqualified oil changer at jiffy lube. One gasket on each side of the screen. DRY! Torque on the sump bolt is only 8 or 9 foot pounds. The split in the washers go towards the bolt head.

Looks like an oil change was was in dire need!

Oh yeah, make sure one of the gaskets is not stuck to the case.

Edit: I see you found the gaskets.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post May 30 2013, 07:45 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 30 2013, 08:58 AM) *

The crush washer is what seals the bolts. You need 2. One for the drain plug and one for the sump bolt. There is NO rubber washer. Someone put that rubber on there in an attempt to quell an oil leak. Probably cause they did not have the proper crush washer. That was the same person who put the sump back together without the gaskets. Maybe some unqualified oil changer at jiffy lube. One gasket on each side of the screen. DRY! Torque on the sump bolt is only 8 or 9 foot pounds. The split in the washers go towards the bolt head.

Looks like an oil change was was in dire need!

Oh yeah, make sure one of the gaskets is not stuck to the case.

Edit: I see you found the gaskets.

Yes I found the gaskets. Thank you so much for help and making me more illiterate when working on my 914. Yall are the best! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 12:44 AM