Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> shift shaft conical set screws, how tight?
malcolm2
post Sep 2 2013, 09:51 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

Ok to avoid the "screw won't come out" issue again, let me ask.....What is the object here? I am installing the long under the engine, curved shift shaft on my 75, side shift tranny. The coupling by the fire wall gives me no issues. However the one at the shift console does.

I assume you want to screw in the set screw until the shaft has NO PLAY, correct?

It ended up pretty tight, but I have no play. I guess it could it have wiggled around over the years and increased the size of the hole in the shaft.

Thoughts??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
cwpeden
post Sep 2 2013, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Great White North, huh?

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,693
Region Association: Canada

The fact that its a taper is what's locking it in there. Its a self locking taper. Think of a Morse taper on a big drill machine or the tail stock in a lathe. I just through the tool in there by hand and need a hammer and wedge to get it out.

You may think its not that tight but then its a @@#t too get out. Just did it twice this weekend myself.

Make sure the hole in the shaft is clean. If there is grease or crap in there it may feel tight but its just bottoming out on the crap and not the sides of the hole. This goes back to me doing it twice this weekend....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 03:40 PM