Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> shift shaft conical set screws, how tight?
malcolm2
post Sep 2 2013, 09:51 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

Ok to avoid the "screw won't come out" issue again, let me ask.....What is the object here? I am installing the long under the engine, curved shift shaft on my 75, side shift tranny. The coupling by the fire wall gives me no issues. However the one at the shift console does.

I assume you want to screw in the set screw until the shaft has NO PLAY, correct?

It ended up pretty tight, but I have no play. I guess it could it have wiggled around over the years and increased the size of the hole in the shaft.

Thoughts??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
malcolm2
post Sep 2 2013, 11:55 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

All good points. But I am asking about the play (free twist) in the shaft after the set screw has been set. Or as a way to tell if it is, let's say, DEEP enough.

I too had a VERY tight experience and ended up cutting the cast coupler off.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Sep 2 2013, 11:59 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 2 2013, 12:55 PM) *

All good points. But I am asking about the play (free twist) in the shaft after the set screw has been set. Or as a way to tell if it is, let's say, DEEP enough.

I too had a VERY tight experience and ended up cutting the cast coupler off.

Must be none! Sometimes these get loctite in place. If you don't heat them on removal, you can have problems. Any wiggle of the shaft in the coupling WILL lead to a failure. It may be the tapered hole in your shaft may be ovaled. it this is the case, it must be either repaired or replaced.

I did recently have one where the welds were cracked. This caused some movement but it was not in the coupling itself. I think these welds breaking is a common problem. It was not real apparent. The shaft was somewhat stuck in position. Only under some load could you see movement.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 02:22 PM