Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mallory ignition, is there a special procedure
bernbomb914
post Jul 21 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #1

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

I have a new mallory cintrifical advance ignition installed in my new engine. Is there a special procedure to correctly time this unit to get the best out of it? what degree do I set it at?

Bernie
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
MXMARK
post Jul 22 2004, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,656

I bougt the Mallory, I set mine at 12 at idle and 28 at max advance, with the gray/gray springs. I have heard that the type 4 motors like this but I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

Info http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...0569&hl=mallory

There are 2 torx screws on my Mallory with vacuum. I set the total advance so that it would advance 16 degreese on the crank max. I use an adjustable timming light to see where max advance was and idle timming. If you don't limit the advance then your idle timming will float around. The 16 limit that I have does not change the max it just holds the idle timming in place. If you use the factory settings on the screws you may have 20 max advance so if you have 28 max you only have 8 at idle. If you have max setting open with the screws I think it is 24 so at 28 max you would be at 4 at idle. 8 degrees change in the dizzy should equal 16 degrees on the crank (is that right?) (where are my notes). You should find the best settigs that your car likes with no detonation.

My car is a 2533 Fat Motor. It used to idle at 500 rpm and still can but I wanted more oil pressure at idle. I have heard the advance should start 100 rpm after idle and be all in by 2300. Mine starts at 12 at 900 and is all in 28 by 2300 or some where close I don't have my notes in front of me. I also us the vacuum can to advance part throttle to about 34 max with vacuum on the freeway. seems to really get rid of the 009 flat spot that I would feel ever so slightly . I hope this helps. Mark

I am tired so I could be way off. Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 04:53 AM