Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Preferred Electronic Ignition out there?, Answers may vary...
boxsterfan
post Oct 13 2013, 11:06 PM
Post #1

914's are kewl

Group: Members
Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Looking to swap out the points on my 74 2.0L to an electronic ignition setup. The car is a daily driver, but I do like to drive enthusiastically. Looking for a reliable setup with little maintenance/quirks.

What do you think is best out there?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Java2570
post Oct 14 2013, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've got a '74 2.0L that I've been running Pertronix Ignitor (not II) in for 2 years with no issues. I've also run that in VW's I've owned and have not ever had any trouble with them. Just make sure that you disconnect the coil connections if you have your ignition on for any length of time without starting the engine or it can burn out the module. The Ignitor II is supposed to solve that issue but you'll need to buy
the .6 ohm coil to go with it and better plug wires to handle the extra juice.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Oct 14 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #3

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Oct 14 2013, 11:38 AM) *

I've got a '74 2.0L that I've been running Pertronix Ignitor (not II) in for 2 years with no issues. I've also run that in VW's I've owned and have not ever had any trouble with them. Just make sure that you disconnect the coil connections if you have your ignition on for any length of time without starting the engine or it can burn out the module. The Ignitor II is supposed to solve that issue but you'll need to buy
the .06 ohm coil to go with it and better plug wires to handle the extra juice.

Thanks. Yes, I did read that I need to get new wires (without copper core?) to handle the extra juice.

Anybody know if the Ignitor II did solve this problem (having the ignition on for extended period of time)? I definitely want to be able to play music while finding my thrill on blueberry hill.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Oct 14 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 14 2013, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Oct 14 2013, 11:38 AM) *

the .06 ohm coil to go with it and better plug wires to handle the extra juice.

Thanks. Yes, I did read that I need to get new wires (without copper core?) to handle the extra juice.

Anybody know if the Ignitor II did solve this problem (having the ignition on for extended period of time)? I definitely want to be able to play music while finding my thrill on blueberry hill.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Yep, spiral wound plug wires, no solid core copper.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 02:03 AM