Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil leak, not from push rod tubes, new to type IV
Seabird
post Mar 21 2014, 07:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,683
Region Association: South East States

Hey everyone. I bought this 914 2.0L back in November and have been slowly preparing it for the track. The underside was pretty messy with oil when I got it. I got the impression that the push rod tubes were the source of the oil so I decided to go ahead and replace them, their o-ring seals, and adjust the valves. That project went well. I was doing other engine maintenance (ignition, exhaust, etc...) items and have now finally gotten around to being able to crank the engine up.

When I got is started I noticed there is still a bit of an oil leak coming from the 1-2 bank. Initially I blamed my install of the push rod tubes. After a close inspection I noticed the oil is coming from higher above. I took a few pics last night after running the engine for 10 min or so. It was not easy to photograph because of lighting.

The red circles show where the oil is. The bottom picture shows the push rod tubes and the seals.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/dl.dropboxusercontent.com-16683-1395409043.1.jpg)

Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
DRPHIL914
post Mar 21 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #2

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

i can't really tell but it could be leaking from where the cylinder heads attache to the case- i know i have this issue and it will eventually be taken care of, but its not bad enough to force me to pull the motor --- yet, because at that point with 140,000 miles, it will for sure mean a full P & C rebuild, heads valves etc, maybe a 2056 upgrade-- just not yet. - anyway thats probably where its coming from but if its not severe, dont worry about it, they all leak some, just keep an eye on the oil level
+Quote Post
Seabird
post Mar 21 2014, 11:33 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,683

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 21 2014, 07:51 AM) *

i can't really tell but it could be leaking from where the cylinder heads attache to the case- i know i have this issue and it will eventually be taken care of, but its not bad enough to force me to pull the motor --- yet, because at that point with 140,000 miles, it will for sure mean a full P & C rebuild, heads valves etc, maybe a 2056 upgrade-- just not yet. - anyway thats probably where its coming from but if its not severe, dont worry about it, they all leak some, just keep an eye on the oil level

Thanks everyone. That's kind of what I was afraid of.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Chris. Next weekend its going to be looping around Sebring. Nasty oil leak that needs to be corrected before track weekend would have torpedoed my efforts.

Miguel
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 21 2014, 01:01 PM
Post #4

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Seabird @ Mar 21 2014, 12:33 PM) *

Thanks for the words of encouragement Chris. Next weekend its going to be looping around Sebring. Nasty oil leak that needs to be corrected before track weekend would have torpedoed my efforts.

Another possible source is a head stud inside the rocker box.
If the seal at the threads or under the washer is compromised oil will gradually migrate to outside the head.
That wouldn't be much of a leak either and nothing to get concerned with.
Your biggest possible source of oil leakage is going to be the valve cover gasket - if it gets hot enough to grow and move.

This is what a cyl. 1/2 valve cover leak looks like from trackside:
Attached Image

I used to use Redlne racing oil which has a very high flashpoint.
I never worried about it igniting, although more than once I saw corner workers waving their extinguisher at me.
It took a meatball flag or enough smoke in the cockpit to obscure my forward vision to get me off the track. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:27 PM