Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak, not from push rod tubes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Seabird
Hey everyone. I bought this 914 2.0L back in November and have been slowly preparing it for the track. The underside was pretty messy with oil when I got it. I got the impression that the push rod tubes were the source of the oil so I decided to go ahead and replace them, their o-ring seals, and adjust the valves. That project went well. I was doing other engine maintenance (ignition, exhaust, etc...) items and have now finally gotten around to being able to crank the engine up.

When I got is started I noticed there is still a bit of an oil leak coming from the 1-2 bank. Initially I blamed my install of the push rod tubes. After a close inspection I noticed the oil is coming from higher above. I took a few pics last night after running the engine for 10 min or so. It was not easy to photograph because of lighting.

The red circles show where the oil is. The bottom picture shows the push rod tubes and the seals.

IPB Image

Thoughts?
JawjaPorsche
Oil Pressure Sending Unit can leak from above, oil cooling unit seals.....

There are so many places a IV engine can leak. Someone jokey said, they will stop leaking when they run out of oil! smile.gif
Seabird
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 21 2014, 05:52 AM) *

Oil Pressure Sending Unit can leak from above, oil cooling unit seals.....

There are so many places a IV engine can leak. Someone jokey said, they will stop leaking when they run out of oil! smile.gif

Thanks Jawja. This is one the drivers side so probably not from the cooler and the oil press sender is dry.

I would hate to think this is a typical leak and will be a regular source of stress.

Miguel
luskesq
Have you checked the bolt going through the thermostat pulley? It goes directly into the case so you might need to sealant on the threads or perhaps it is simply loose.

Keith
ChrisFoley
It looks like the oil is either coming from the cylinder/crankcase interface and migrating to the lowest point on the tin, or from the head/cylinder interface.
In either case, it won't amount to much of a leak.
DRPHIL914
i can't really tell but it could be leaking from where the cylinder heads attache to the case- i know i have this issue and it will eventually be taken care of, but its not bad enough to force me to pull the motor --- yet, because at that point with 140,000 miles, it will for sure mean a full P & C rebuild, heads valves etc, maybe a 2056 upgrade-- just not yet. - anyway thats probably where its coming from but if its not severe, dont worry about it, they all leak some, just keep an eye on the oil level
Seabird
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 21 2014, 07:51 AM) *

i can't really tell but it could be leaking from where the cylinder heads attache to the case- i know i have this issue and it will eventually be taken care of, but its not bad enough to force me to pull the motor --- yet, because at that point with 140,000 miles, it will for sure mean a full P & C rebuild, heads valves etc, maybe a 2056 upgrade-- just not yet. - anyway thats probably where its coming from but if its not severe, dont worry about it, they all leak some, just keep an eye on the oil level

Thanks everyone. That's kind of what I was afraid of.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Chris. Next weekend its going to be looping around Sebring. Nasty oil leak that needs to be corrected before track weekend would have torpedoed my efforts.

Miguel
bandjoey
Oil breather tube return hose right above that spot ? On top of the head there might be a hose to return oil vapers. Hose gets old and crusty and leaks.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Seabird @ Mar 21 2014, 12:33 PM) *

Thanks for the words of encouragement Chris. Next weekend its going to be looping around Sebring. Nasty oil leak that needs to be corrected before track weekend would have torpedoed my efforts.

Another possible source is a head stud inside the rocker box.
If the seal at the threads or under the washer is compromised oil will gradually migrate to outside the head.
That wouldn't be much of a leak either and nothing to get concerned with.
Your biggest possible source of oil leakage is going to be the valve cover gasket - if it gets hot enough to grow and move.

This is what a cyl. 1/2 valve cover leak looks like from trackside:
Click to view attachment

I used to use Redlne racing oil which has a very high flashpoint.
I never worried about it igniting, although more than once I saw corner workers waving their extinguisher at me.
It took a meatball flag or enough smoke in the cockpit to obscure my forward vision to get me off the track. evilgrin.gif
Seabird
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 21 2014, 11:01 AM) *

I used to use Redlne racing oil which has a very high flashpoint.
I never worried about it igniting, although more than once I saw corner workers waving their extinguisher at me.
It took a meatball flag or enough smoke in the cockpit to obscure my forward vision to get me off the track. evilgrin.gif

I can quite find an emoticon that captures my thoughts on this Chris, lol. Maybe blink.gif aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif

Brakes, fluid change, connect my gauges and load it up!! Maybe I'll actually get to corner balance it before next weekend!!
biosurfer1
Cheech and Chong Race Team Leader

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Mar 21 2014, 12:01 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.