Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> targa moulding removal, removal tools and techniques
dangrouche
post Jun 7 2014, 03:34 PM
Post #1

dangrouche

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

I am going to replace the butyl on the rear glass; does the plastic rectangular surrounds (where the targa top mates into the rectangular hole) need to be removed prior to anything else, or does the targa trim come off with the surrounds attached?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dangrouche
post Jun 7 2014, 07:48 PM
Post #2

dangrouche

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

Paul, you are right, I think I have the two secrets here; probe around with a light and a scribe to find the head of the Phillips, once you know and see the phillip, unscrew it until it gets pretty loose, then use the magnet probe to retreive the screw. The other secret is for the targa latch. once all the screws of targa header are removed, there is enough play to pull the header to and fro, to get at the latch. Unhook the coil spring and use the Harbor Freight tool on a 10mm socket. Use a 7/16" wrench to turn the 10mm nut to break the tension. Once the 10mm gets loose, my two fingers rotated the socket from beneath the header and the 10mm screw comes out pretty easily. After Bruce gave me the info about the targa header being one piece, I removed my header in about one hour with relative ease. My underside screws were absent which made the removal pretty quick. I also used a small mirror to look into the holes where there were some screws.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 09:31 AM