Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Towing
00r101
post Aug 4 2014, 02:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,476
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If your car does not have a parking brake do you leave it in gear or just rely on the straps to secure it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
messix
post Aug 12 2014, 11:47 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

whats with all this stress the transmission talk.

if your only tensioning the straps and not dragging the car against the tranny in gear I don't see any real stress on the tranny.

you should tension the front straps equally then do the rear, and the car should not move much at all.

I have towed my jeep and teener in my toyhauler for years and always park it on the trailer then simply tight the strap.

another reason to not leave it in gear is when you are removing the straps and you don't get a surprise because you forgot to put it back in gear.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 12 2014, 11:56 PM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(messix @ Aug 12 2014, 10:47 PM) *

another reason to not leave it in gear is when you are removing the straps and you don't get a surprise because you forgot to put it back in gear.

Another towing habit I've formed, mainly in case I did not put the car in gear or it popped-out somehow, is to never ever put away the ramps until the car is completely strapped-down and ready to depart. Similarly, when unloading I never touch any straps until the ramps are in place.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 05:23 AM