Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Towing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
00r101
If your car does not have a parking brake do you leave it in gear or just rely on the straps to secure it?
Rand
QUOTE(00r101 @ Aug 4 2014, 01:35 AM) *

If your car does not have a parking brake do you leave it in gear or just rely on the straps to secure it?

I think you are talking trailering, not towing. Strap it and block it. It's not about the parking brake. Who is transporting for you? This is only your problem if you hired Guido's x sisters son in law.

If you are doing it by yourself and asking this... Good luck. Do you think there's a difference between in gear and neutral? Probably not enough to tow on a flatbed. Do you have any bricks? If so smack them on your head.
naro914
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 4 2014, 04:39 AM) *

QUOTE(00r101 @ Aug 4 2014, 01:35 AM) *

I think you are talking trailering, not towing. Strap it and block it. It's not about the parking brake. Who is transporting for you? This is only your problem if you hired Guido's x sisters son in law.

If you are doing it by yourself and asking this... Good luck. Do you think there's a difference between in gear and neutral? Probably not enough to tow on a flatbed. Do you have any bricks? If so smack them on your head.

dude...I think that is a perfectly reasonable question, everyone had to learn to tow their first time, and when you modify your car and things you're used to are no longer there - like a parking brake - it's better to ask first than to find out the hard way. No need to be jerk about your response....

to answer your question, I leave it in gear then strap it down tight. The ONE TIME I left it out of gear in my enclosed trailer, one of the straps let go and it rolled back and forth, slightly damaging a fender.

Honestly, the BEST way, although a bit more time consuming: pull on trailer, and either leave in gear or have someone chock the wheels. If left in gear, put one strap on to hold it, take out of gear so you're not stressing the trans. Strap down tight, then reach in and put back in gear. That's what I do now.

Some may post and say not to put it in gear, puts undue stress on the trans, etc. My personal opinion and based on experience: leave it in gear.

Good luck!
Seabird
QUOTE(00r101 @ Aug 4 2014, 12:35 AM) *

I never trailer any of my cars in gear. I know folks who have/do but I wouldn't.

The straps, which are cheap compared to you power train, though should not be the cheapest straps you can find, are what should be doing the work of securing the car.

IF you are relying on the transmission to hold the car then any braking and acceleration forces are getting transferred into your transmission. Not a good thing.

Think of it this way, which would you rather replace straps or a tranny?

M

PS: Straps tend to stretch a little while your towing (a little means a little less tension in them not the car can move back and forth an inch or more). If the straps loosen up a bit and you left it in gear your back to putting stress in your transmission.

I like to drive maybe 10 miles and then pull over and check the straps, the lug nuts, and tire and hub temps. Better to take 5 mins doing this then three hours getting something fixed on the side of the road.
naro914
also...and against conventional wisdom...I recommend you DO NOT cross your straps.

think about it...if a strap lets go, the remaining strap is pulling the car to one side, thus being detrimental and causing more problems. If they are straight front to back, it will always try to keep it somewhat centered.

Again, just my opinion but been trailering multiple cars for 20 years in many different configurations and trailers...
campbellcj
FWIW I have always trailered in gear - but I tighten all the straps while in neutral. The car moves around substantially when you are cinching it down.

My rationale is if a strap or two ever let go, I don't want the car to roll around (or totally off the trailer). If I had an enclosed trailer I'd probably chock the wheels and leave it in neutral, but I'm talking open trailer.

Also, I do not cross the straps, and on longer tows I stop around the midpoint (if not more) to check and re-cinch.
messix
whats with all this stress the transmission talk.

if your only tensioning the straps and not dragging the car against the tranny in gear I don't see any real stress on the tranny.

you should tension the front straps equally then do the rear, and the car should not move much at all.

I have towed my jeep and teener in my toyhauler for years and always park it on the trailer then simply tight the strap.

another reason to not leave it in gear is when you are removing the straps and you don't get a surprise because you forgot to put it back in gear.
campbellcj
QUOTE(messix @ Aug 12 2014, 10:47 PM) *

another reason to not leave it in gear is when you are removing the straps and you don't get a surprise because you forgot to put it back in gear.

Another towing habit I've formed, mainly in case I did not put the car in gear or it popped-out somehow, is to never ever put away the ramps until the car is completely strapped-down and ready to depart. Similarly, when unloading I never touch any straps until the ramps are in place.
EdwardBlume
Invest or make good blocks. I was able to secure my race car nicely with a tapered block with an eyebolt on it for tying to the wheel.
stugray
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 5 2014, 09:04 PM) *

Invest or make good blocks. I was able to secure my race car nicely with a tapered block with an eyebolt on it for tying to the wheel.

I use two of the harbor freight rubber kind. One on each side of a rear wheel bungeed together.

I am guessing that last time I trailered mine, I probably left it in gear.
I'll try to remember to take it out next time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.