Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914-6 oil line question, Special tool required?
Gcthielen
post Aug 24 2015, 12:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,251
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am assembling my 1971 914-6 and can not figure out how to tighten the line in the center of the photo. It appears to be a pipe thread on either end...the right (tank side) is loose. can it be tightened by hand? special tool? The collar has no flats but rotates on the line itself.
Thanks!
George

Attached Image (IMG:http://file:///C:/Users/GCThielen/Desktop/oil%20line.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
porschetub
post Aug 24 2015, 04:05 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Gcthielen @ Aug 25 2015, 06:49 AM) *

I am assembling my 1971 914-6 and can not figure out how to tighten the line in the center of the photo. It appears to be a pipe thread on either end...the right (tank side) is loose. can it be tightened by hand? special tool? The collar has no flats but rotates on the line itself.
Thanks!
George

My first view I thought they were reusable fitting,but without the hexs they can't be,if they turn in place I would say the hose is toast as mentioned.
It will leak no question,I sourced my hoses and parts from Stoddard,they have a good selection of Cohline fittings and crimps @ the best prices.
The hose you will need should be sourced from the shop that can press the crimps on for you,another option is to buy from Porsche but I seem to remember some of them are NLA now.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Aug 24 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 24 2015, 06:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Gcthielen @ Aug 25 2015, 06:49 AM) *

Thanks!
George

My first view I thought they were reusable fitting,but without the hexs they can't be,if they turn in place I would say the hose is toast as mentioned.
It will leak no question,I sourced my hoses and parts from Stoddard,they have a good selection of Cohline fittings and crimps @ the best prices.
The hose you will need should be sourced from the shop that can press the crimps on for you,another option is to buy from Porsche but I seem to remember some of them are NLA now.

The aluminum collars do not turn. The lines do not separate there. They only separate at the obvious threaded fittings at the tank and at the connection of the "cooler to tank" hose and the "tank to cooler" hose. These are named and numbered in the PET and on various websites. They are also diagramed on the Patrick Motorsport website. The lines are available from PMS. They are good quality, readily available and not expensive

If you tried to tighten the nut against the aluminum collar and it is now turning, it may leak there

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:38 AM