Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Calling All PCCB Victims
post Sep 15 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

Hey folks ,

If you know of any 996 owners with the PCCB brakes,
PLEASE advise them to look @www. rennlist / forums / GT2/GT3/ Calling All PCCB Victims.

There is pending litigation that they SHOULD get in on .

I'm sorry that I have no knowledge in setting up a link to that site.

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ArtechnikA
post Sep 16 2004, 03:58 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 15 2004, 09:50 PM)
...I do not recall seeing any written claims that PCCB was intended for race use or warranted for it.

Most guys who do serious track driving know that warranties generally are moot the instant you pull out of the hot pits.

not to put too fine a point on it, we're not talking about race use, we're talking about PCA-sanctioned DE events in stock cars.

this is slightly reminiscent of the 996 oil pressure problem and track use. in that case, though, the problem arose only on cars that were using race tires - clearly changing the specification of the vehicle beyond 'stock' and the package the factory warranted.

Porsche has always been represented as the marque you could go take right to the track and hammer on, right out of the box.

i'd have to go back to the earliest days of the introductions of the PCCB to see exactly how the product was marketed and represented. i recall they tried very hard to ccreate the impression that they were 'lifetime of the car' brakes.

the warranty issue is that it is very specific on what it covers, and what it excludes, and under what conditions. the original warranty (evidently) did not exclude PCCB rotors.

while i'm not suggesting it is the case here, there have been cases where marginal parts have escaped into the field in order to reap revenues from their eventual replacement. in this case, i think the product was simply not as good as Porsche had hoped, and the bean-counters are trying to maximise profit by denying the warranty claims.

i do agree with your second point, that experienced track guys understand that some parts are consumable and once you hit the track all bets are off. but at least some of the claimants were -not- experienced track guys - they were guys who'd bought into the hype, had heard that the thing to do to be safe with the car was go to a PCA DE and learn how to handle it and now they're facing big-buck repairs for doing little more than driving the car how they'd always heard it was supposed to be driven.

i think it's a bit of a sad commentary that Porsche's flagship cars (GT2/GT3) using the latest & greatest flagship technology CAN'T be taken to the track for a DE without cooking the brakes -- that was Porsche's claim to fame for 40 years. they probably SHOULD have excluded ALL the brake system for any 'offroad' use but they didn't -- and i think one reason they didn't was that it would reflect badly on the car, and people wouldn't buy the high-margin option (standard, IIRC, on GT2).

more likely, Porsche had high hopes for the technology but it came up short in reality. the old Porsche would have said, "yes, that technology was not as good as we had hoped, we'll replace them ONE time for you, don't come back with this problem again." the new Porsche is saying "the new technology is not good enough for you to drive the car in the manner it was represented to you, you lose, put another double-decaf mocha latté in you cupholder and go back to your carpool."

just MH not-a-lawyer-but-i-was-married-to-one-for-a-long-time O. i don't own a GT3, i've never even seen a GT2, and there are no PCCB's in my future.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
0396   Calling All PCCB Victims   Sep 15 2004, 06:42 PM
i love porsche   they redesigned the PCCB for the 997, and hopefull...   Sep 15 2004, 07:15 PM
seanery   I know folks who have been using them on the stree...   Sep 15 2004, 07:38 PM
ArtechnikA   <...   Sep 15 2004, 07:59 PM
0396   Artechnika, You hit it on the nail. :rolleyes:   Sep 15 2004, 08:06 PM
anthony   Isn't Porsche now saying that they aren't ...   Sep 15 2004, 08:26 PM
ArtechnikA   <...   Sep 15 2004, 08:39 PM
0396   anthony, Very true...they sold the goods for extr...   Sep 15 2004, 08:41 PM
campbellcj   I am most likely missing some important point, but...   Sep 15 2004, 11:50 PM
ArtechnikA  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 02:19 PM