Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Distributor, Calling all L-Jet experts
gfg3
post Oct 5 2015, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Never Too Old

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,295
Region Association: None

While I was trying to sort out possible vacuum leaks in my '75 1.8L FI (L-Jet) engine I noticed a couple of inconsistencies in the way the PO set up the system compared to what I believe is the correct vacuum setup:

1. The distributor in my car does not have any vacuum advance mechanism or vacuum hose connections. I thought all '75 EC code engines used vacuum advance. Am I wrong?

2. There is no vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. Normally there is a T in the line that connects the intake manifold with the decel valve and the fuel pressure regulator. Decel valve is hooked up correctly, but the fuel pressure regulator just has the in/out fuel lines, vacuum port is open. Can it work correctly like this?

George
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dave_Darling
post Oct 5 2015, 04:46 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The distributor part numbers sounds right. (That's a Bosch part number; there should also be a VW part number on it.)

Not all 75s had vacuum advance. All of the injected ones had vacuum retard. (I'm sure you don't have an AN-code carb'ed 1.8.) If you don't have the EGR system, then you probably never had a vacuum advance setup. The dashpot on the distributor may have a fitting on it for advance, but if so it was never hooked up.

The L-jet is designed to have the fuel pressure referenced to the manifold pressure. So the port on the FPR should be hooked up to manifold vacuum. If it isn't, the fuel pressure will always be as high as it would at WOT, leading to a rich idle and part-load mixture. That may have been a band-aid for a lean mixture from vacuum leaks.

--DD
+Quote Post
gfg3
post Oct 6 2015, 06:08 AM
Post #3

Never Too Old

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 5 2015, 06:46 PM) *

The distributor part numbers sounds right. (That's a Bosch part number; there should also be a VW part number on it.)

Not all 75s had vacuum advance. All of the injected ones had vacuum retard. (I'm sure you don't have an AN-code carb'ed 1.8.) If you don't have the EGR system, then you probably never had a vacuum advance setup. The dashpot on the distributor may have a fitting on it for advance, but if so it was never hooked up.

The L-jet is designed to have the fuel pressure referenced to the manifold pressure. So the port on the FPR should be hooked up to manifold vacuum. If it isn't, the fuel pressure will always be as high as it would at WOT, leading to a rich idle and part-load mixture. That may have been a band-aid for a lean mixture from vacuum leaks.

--DD

Outstanding info. Thanks Dave! I have an EC code 1.8 FI without EGR and no dashpot on the distributor, so it looks like the distributor is fine.

While I have this thread open, I also noticed that my decel valve just has two vacuum connections, a small line to the intake manifold and a large line to the S-duct. The third large tap that should also go to the intake manifold is blocked off as is the corresponding large tap at the intake manifold. Again, is this OK, or should I hook it back up?

Since the main reason I'm going through all this is part throttle surging and ratty idle, I guess it's time to replace all those vac lines....just wanted to do things correctly.

George
+Quote Post
AndyB
post Oct 6 2015, 10:49 AM
Post #4

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(gfg3 @ Oct 6 2015, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 5 2015, 06:46 PM) *

--DD

Outstanding info. Thanks Dave! I have an EC code 1.8 FI without EGR and no dashpot on the distributor, so it looks like the distributor is fine.

While I have this thread open, I also noticed that my decel valve just has two vacuum connections, a small line to the intake manifold and a large line to the S-duct. The third large tap that should also go to the intake manifold is blocked off as is the corresponding large tap at the intake manifold. Again, is this OK, or should I hook it back up?

Since the main reason I'm going through all this is part throttle surging and ratty idle, I guess it's time to replace all those vac lines....just wanted to do things correctly.

George

I would recommend that you make sure all your hoses are correctly connected. I have a 75 with L-jet. I always make sure that my hoses are connected to the decel valve.
+Quote Post
gfg3
post Oct 6 2015, 11:41 AM
Post #5

Never Too Old

QUOTE(AndyB @ Oct 6 2015, 12:49 PM) *

I would recommend that you make sure all your hoses are correctly connected. I have a 75 with L-jet. I always make sure that my hoses are connected to the decel valve.

OK, here's what I get from all this:
1. Distributor is fine, no worries about no dashpot or vac hookups
2. Reinstall large vac line from decel valve to intake manifold, making 3 total lines at the valve.
3. Replace the line that T's into the fuel pressure regulator from the small decel valve/fuel pressure regulator line (i.e., rehook up the fuel pressure regulator vacuum).

I've got new lines on order, so once they come in.....off to work I go.

Thanks everyone.

George
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
gfg3   Distributor   Oct 5 2015, 01:00 PM
sean_v8_914   kinda....not really dizzy should have a vacuum po...   Oct 5 2015, 01:18 PM
gfg3   kinda....not really dizzy should have a vacuum p...   Oct 5 2015, 02:27 PM
Dave_Darling   The distributor part numbers sounds right. (That...   Oct 5 2015, 04:46 PM
gfg3   The distributor part numbers sounds right. (That...   Oct 6 2015, 06:08 AM
AndyB   The distributor part numbers sounds right. (Tha...   Oct 6 2015, 10:49 AM
gfg3   I would recommend that you make sure all your hos...   Oct 6 2015, 11:41 AM
Racer Chris   If it isn't, the fuel pressure will always b...   Oct 6 2015, 11:20 AM
barefoot   If it isn't, the fuel pressure will always ...   Oct 6 2015, 11:56 AM
Racer Chris   Don't know about L-jet, but D-jet should have...   Oct 6 2015, 12:23 PM
barefoot   Don't know about L-jet, but D-jet should hav...   Oct 6 2015, 03:10 PM
pete000   If it isn't, the fuel pressure will always ...   Oct 6 2015, 12:17 PM
rhodyguy   That was GREAT Dave. Well put.   Oct 5 2015, 07:06 PM
porschetub   That was GREAT Dave. Well put. Well done ,alway...   Oct 6 2015, 02:38 AM
Dave_Darling   D-jet does not reference its fuel pressure to mani...   Oct 6 2015, 12:28 PM
Racer Chris   Since the pressure in the manifold is highest at...   Oct 6 2015, 12:52 PM
gfg3   (The stock 1.8 distributor also has a Bosch part ...   Oct 6 2015, 02:20 PM
Racer Chris   022 905 205 series That's the Porsche part...   Oct 6 2015, 02:51 PM
gfg3   That's the Porsche part #. Bosch has a differ...   Oct 6 2015, 03:41 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 11:14 AM