Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914/6 parts - yellow zinc or black paint
IAA1963
post Feb 8 2016, 02:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,652
Region Association: None

Hi,

I want to give some parts of my original /6 the original finish again. They are sandblasted, but I am not sure which parts have had zink or paint finish originally.

I think the break shield are yellow zink plated for a /6 and the tank filler unit should be black painted as well as the holder for the muffler. But what about the remaining items.

My /6 is being restored as per original specs and I want to have the details right, too.

Thank you.

Mark

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom_T
post Feb 8 2016, 02:22 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(IAA1963 @ Feb 8 2016, 12:11 PM) *

Hi,

I want to give some parts of my original /6 the original finish again. They are sandblasted, but I am not sure which parts have had zink or paint finish originally.

I think the break shield are yellow zink plated for a /6 and the tank filler unit should be black painted as well as the holder for the muffler. But what about the remaining items.

My /6 is being restored as per original specs and I want to have the details right, too.

Thank you.

Mark

Attached Image

IIRC the muffler hanger (top), rear brake shields (2nd row L) & gas tank filler/overflow tank (bott/rt.) were all the factory satin black paint finish - like what looks to be an NOS front brake shield at the 2nd row top right - on all 914s 4/6 - so if that's an original part with original finish, you have the match for your painter or PC shop to use with it - keep that as is if it's the genuine Porsche part on the sticker. Recheck below guys one the rear shields.

The rear shock spacers ("L" shaped in 3rd row 2 over from fuel overflow) were silver zinc.

IIRC the the shock top caps are black too - but check with socalandy & toolguy on here by PM for that & the other parts. PM them directly since they may not see this otherwise.

PS -
3 suggestions -

1. Take pix of everything - EVERYTHING - before they come off, as you disassemble, & before you strip them. Then you have a record of where the parts go, how they assemble & ancilliary parts, & what the finish was before (if not originally). A big aid in getting it refinished correctly & put back together correctly. Digital SD cards are cheap insurance!

2. Use walnuts, small beads or other less-aggressive-than-sand media to strip your parts - or dip strip them, to avoid metal distortion & excessive pitting.

3. Also, if you come across rust in your resto, EvapoRust is an excellent & non-toxic rust remover available all over - so a pre-soak in that may eliminate the need to blast many parts at all, only leaving you to clean off the Evapo & sand for smoothness - since it will leave pits where the rust was if deep rust (or at least a ex-rusty surface roughness afterwards).

PSS - Thanx for the correction on the camber plates sbsix. If you have correct pix of them & other parts, it may help the OP get his in order!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 09:02 AM