Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 parts - yellow zinc or black paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IAA1963
Hi,

I want to give some parts of my original /6 the original finish again. They are sandblasted, but I am not sure which parts have had zink or paint finish originally.

I think the break shield are yellow zink plated for a /6 and the tank filler unit should be black painted as well as the holder for the muffler. But what about the remaining items.

My /6 is being restored as per original specs and I want to have the details right, too.

Thank you.

Mark

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(IAA1963 @ Feb 8 2016, 12:11 PM) *

Hi,

I want to give some parts of my original /6 the original finish again. They are sandblasted, but I am not sure which parts have had zink or paint finish originally.

I think the break shield are yellow zink plated for a /6 and the tank filler unit should be black painted as well as the holder for the muffler. But what about the remaining items.

My /6 is being restored as per original specs and I want to have the details right, too.

Thank you.

Mark

Click to view attachment

IIRC the muffler hanger (top), rear brake shields (2nd row L) & gas tank filler/overflow tank (bott/rt.) were all the factory satin black paint finish - like what looks to be an NOS front brake shield at the 2nd row top right - on all 914s 4/6 - so if that's an original part with original finish, you have the match for your painter or PC shop to use with it - keep that as is if it's the genuine Porsche part on the sticker. Recheck below guys one the rear shields.

The rear shock spacers ("L" shaped in 3rd row 2 over from fuel overflow) were silver zinc.

IIRC the the shock top caps are black too - but check with socalandy & toolguy on here by PM for that & the other parts. PM them directly since they may not see this otherwise.

PS -
3 suggestions -

1. Take pix of everything - EVERYTHING - before they come off, as you disassemble, & before you strip them. Then you have a record of where the parts go, how they assemble & ancilliary parts, & what the finish was before (if not originally). A big aid in getting it refinished correctly & put back together correctly. Digital SD cards are cheap insurance!

2. Use walnuts, small beads or other less-aggressive-than-sand media to strip your parts - or dip strip them, to avoid metal distortion & excessive pitting.

3. Also, if you come across rust in your resto, EvapoRust is an excellent & non-toxic rust remover available all over - so a pre-soak in that may eliminate the need to blast many parts at all, only leaving you to clean off the Evapo & sand for smoothness - since it will leave pits where the rust was if deep rust (or at least a ex-rusty surface roughness afterwards).

PSS - Thanx for the correction on the camber plates sbsix. If you have correct pix of them & other parts, it may help the OP get his in order!
shades.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sbsix
the shock top camber plates are yellow zinc plated
pete000
Brake dust shields are yellow zink. Later cars were black.
siverson
> the shock top camber plates are yellow zinc plated
> Brake dust shields are yellow zink

Yes, that's right those are yellow, but I thought it was yellow cadmium, not yellow zinc. Not that is makes that big of difference, but yellow cad does look a little different.

-Steve
sbsix
You are right, originals were cadmium plated, but you can't cad plate anymore so everyone has to use yellow zinc.
IAA1963
Thank you all for the feedback ... as there are different anserws on the brake shields ... I am still not sure if they should be black or yellow?

Tom, thank your for your suggestions. The car as well as most of of the parts have been soda blasted and only the rusted areas have been sand blasted. I have also plenty of pictures of everthing, but brake shield etc were in terrible condition so I did not know...

I even made pictures of the tar on the floors, which I have reproduced accordinlgy and glued into before painting ...
Click to view attachment

Plenty of NOS parts used:
Click to view attachment

siverson
Great photos.

Brake shields on sixes were definitely yellow. One of the neat differences IMO.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2083620

-Steve
Eric_Shea
Zinc is a better rust protectant.

Bearing Caps = Yellow Zinc
Front Dust Shields = Yellow
Rear Dust Shields = Black
Shock Caps = Black. Only yellow on later SC's
Alignment Plates = Yellow

Everything else black as described. Your call on the alignment shims. I'd have a nice heavy coating of clear zinc on them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.