Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Welding Magnesium
nsyr
post Oct 10 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #1

Because I Can

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,073

Anyone have experience with this? What to use, etc? BTW, this is for the tranny ear.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
qa1142
post Oct 11 2004, 03:28 PM
Post #2

Whiplash

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,140

Ha, here is my magnesium and welder story.

I worked in a shop where we made insulation blowing machines. We made a nozzle for fire proofing, sprayed glue with cellulose to coat beams in high rise buldings. the nozzles were sold as "lightest weight" and were made of cast and machined Magnesum. One of the shop guys knew the stuff was special and saved all the lathe scraps in a 5 gallon paint bucket.

So then one day a different guy was using the cutting torch without noticing the bucket laying there and ignited the magnesum with started burning "White hot". Looked like flash bulbs all going off at once.

So the supervisor (and also a son at Meyer & Sons where i worked hussled the bucket outside and without thinking turned the hose on it.

so here is formula:
Take on burning bucket of Magnesuim @ ~ 3000 degrees
Add water > Which both vaporizes and breaks down on contact (this is why you use foam on hot fires)

Release hydrogin and O2 into ~3000 degree bucket = Fire ball was about 10 feet in diameter and went up a bout 25 feet removing all the hair from the bosses son.

PS: don't try this at home (do it at work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:00 AM