Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Long overdue identification door tag on unrestored Mayan Green 914
22truckie
post Jul 13 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,138
Region Association: None

Sorry for the delay. Here is the door tag for the car. I have a before and after picture of the door jamb, close up of the tag and underside of the door. This car is in increadable condition for the mileage, 145,000

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
22truckie
post Jul 13 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,138
Region Association: None

Underside of door. For people who want to ACTUALLY restore the way it was made from the factory and not over restored, here are a few imperfect details to pay attention to: paint runs and an overdone brush stroke of the weatherstripping adhesive. I am an originality nut and completed the only authenticity manual for Studibaker Avanti's. It was full color and almost 400 pages that documented these details. It took almost 4 years to do. This car will be a very good example of how they were made with no restorations of finishes. Patinas left in place

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 13 2016, 01:23 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(22truckie @ Jul 13 2016, 10:13 AM) *

Underside of door. For people who want to ACTUALLY restore the way it was made from the factory and not over restored, here are a few imperfect details to pay attention to: paint runs and an overdone brush stroke of the weatherstripping adhesive. I am an originality nut and completed the only authenticity manual for Studibaker Avanti's. It was full color and almost 400 pages that documented these details. It took almost 4 years to do. This car will be a very good example of how they were made with no restorations of finishes. Patinas left in place

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20138-1468429983_thumb.jpg)

You probably want to pull off those door seals to make sure there isn't rust behind them, since they're notorious for holding water in the foam & causing rust. I see something dark along there which may be rust or discoloration from same further in. If rusty in the gasket channel(s), then any rust repair there won't affect your 914 being qualified for "Preservation" CdE classes/division, but you'll want to stop the tin worm in it's tracks.

As for the "patina" of excess adhesive - if you plan to show in PCA Concours, then you would get "dinged" for not cleaning up the excess adhesive "factory mistake" on the car. I just had to explain that very "ding" or point deduction to a competitor this past Sunday at the LA Concours when I was judging Unrestored Division - interior, on the same sort of thing on the inner door seal on his car. Under PCA Zone 8 rules & judges' guidelines & training - patina is expected aging of parts/components, vs. a prep/cleaning/detailing issue with excess adhesive, grease, etc.

So if you plan to show in PCA, plan to detail it better than factory. It would also be helpful for you to take any Concours prep &/or judging classes in your PCA Zone or Region too, so you know what to worry about & what not to worry - ditto for any other AACA, etc. types of CdEs.

Likewise for PCA, a factory paint run on a secondary or tertiary surface like the door innards/jambs won't generally get deductions - but the same run on the exterior body probably would, because it's a fairly easily correctable defect or flaw which can be color sanded away - especially on single stage paint like yours.

If the door jamb pix above are your 914's before & after - then you're doing a great job of cleaning up, so don't hesitate to also do the detailing of the factory "oops" items too (unless where you'll show it wants that sort of stuff).

I also see that you're now got as an 144k mile car, so you must've gotten that & more good info. from the OO!

I've always loved the Avanti's since our neighbor had a new one when I was a kid in San Diego in the `60's. Since you wrote the manual on them, I'm sure you understand the differences between different organizations' CdE's - like Porsche/PCA, Vette Club, Stude Club, AACA, etc. Everybody has their own set of stuff they look for & score on.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 10:14 PM