Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Long overdue identification door tag on unrestored Mayan Green 914
22truckie
post Jul 13 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,138
Region Association: None

Sorry for the delay. Here is the door tag for the car. I have a before and after picture of the door jamb, close up of the tag and underside of the door. This car is in increadable condition for the mileage, 145,000

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
22truckie
post Jul 13 2016, 09:50 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,138
Region Association: None

Tom, thanks for all the suggestions. Yes that was the same door jamb. I used to super detail unrestored cars for concours as a side job. Now I just do my own. I have some comments on the thoughts you gave about cleaning up factory imperfections.

I have been in numerous concours as a participant and as a judge for unrestored factory correct cars. I collect nothing but untouched factory original automobiles. I have pushed hard for unrestored automobile categories in different organizations and concours. So with that being said here are my thoughts: Preservation classes are just that, preservation of exactly how the car was made, especially factory imperfections. You are preserving HOW the car was made. Most all were production automobiles and they had flaws, body panel gaps were not perfect, factory striping did not always line up and there was an occasional drip or out of place brush mark. What are you preserving? What was actually made or what you wish was made. I do not mean to be rude or come across arrogant. I am very passionate about this. If this is how the Porsche organization judges preservation, I will be fighting for a change. Check out how Peable Beach does their preservation judging, same with Amelia Island ( one of my cars will be there next year and it is literally 100% untouched with 90,000 miles on it. Hopefully I will not alienate myself as the new guy coming in to make waves. I more look at trying to refine the class as to truly understand these untouched treasures for what they are, geniuine examples of what was made, imperfections and all. Again, thank you so much for all your input. I will be leaving the car as it was made at the factory to serve as a model on how they were made and how well this car stood the test of time. I may start a separate post on this. Again I hope I have not offended anyone with this
Cheers!!
Greg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 03:09 AM