Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Transaxle code, need help with transaxle code
turbonet
post Sep 15 2016, 12:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,398
Region Association: Canada

I am looking at buying what I am told is a '73 2l. I am waiting for the COA a the moment so in the mean time I am look for some help.

The engine has the correct code for a '73 (GA 000435) but the transaxle numbers don't seem to make sense.

trans code:

914/11 HA0053820

From the info I have been able to find the 914/11 portion has it as a '72 but the numbers fall into early '73.

It seems the 914/11 trans numbers stop at HA053072 but the one I'm looking at has a number code that would fall much later and seems to fall into the '73 914/12???

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this for me?

Thanks guys

Trevor
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 15 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I have no idea what you have, seems odd to me too. These charts, from the FWSM.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 15 2016, 12:20 PM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 15 2016, 08:12 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I have no idea what you have, seems odd to me too. These charts, from the FWSM.

Jeff & Turbonet,

The Transaxle Case No. Decoder is wrong, cuz it doesn't show all 7 digits after the HA, as the by MY chart does. Scratch that, as I was looking at the later MYs' decoder! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

It still doesn't make sense though, for the decoder & MY usage for either my nor Turbonet's early-72 built 73 2L!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

So the leading 00+DDMMY should be shown, &/r its trailing, in either case perhaps with the last digits representing the # built on that day?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
.... as on the Chassis numbers.

Turbonet - as for a 72 MY Transaxle being used on an early `73 , your GA case # indicates an early production 2.0, so it was probably built in Aug. or Sept. 72 (check your VIN sticker & Chassis no. to decode approx. build date) - so they would've used up the 72 era transaxles in the parts bins, before moving on to the 73 MY 914/12's.

Also, they weren't used in building the cars strictly sequentially for the various components - but rather whichever of whatever they grabbed from the parts bin as they went along (as opposed to some other cars who have all parts strictly matched in their original build).

So that aspect isn't a mystery, but probably shows why PCNA doesn't bother to put Transaxle nos. on COAs, & why the factory didn't record them on the Kardex's in the first place.

FYI - take the VIN stick month & year, & get a calendar for it online (1972 in your case), then take your Chassis No. (@ Karmann tag on F driver door jamb & stamped in rear of the R. trunk floor) as:

WWD95XX

WW = Week of Year Number (count 1 day as 1st week if Jan. 1)

D = Day of work Week M-F

95 = Karmann Plant (Note that 96 - adds 100 to # in day, 97 + 200)

XX = Number Car Built that Day

If it makes you feel any better, my Transaxle Code makes no sense either (pic below), with my 73 914-2.0 built on 8/31/72 with GA000424 (very close to yours)....

Attached Image

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 06:21 AM