Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tail to Sideshift conversion, What all do I need?
tracks914
post Oct 16 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153
Region Association: None

I am looking a converting my transmission to a side shift. Here is what I think I need.
Side shift transmission
Side shift shift rod (rear) as in the picture.
Side shift engine mount bar.

Do I need anything else?
Will my shifter and forward rod assembly work with the side shift?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Tx

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dmenche914
post Oct 16 2004, 11:08 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

Oh yeah, he is right, forgot about the engine mount and bar!

What is the history of the engine mounts/bars used?
There is the welded bar, with no pass thru for the shift rod, there is the cast bar with the afore pass thru, and there is the solid bar to motor mount with rubber mount on body, and the rubber bar to engine mount with solid mount at body.

Were both engine to bar mounting types used with the tail shift? or was the change in bar to engine mount style done at the same time the bar was changed from welded to cast (ie tail to side shift bar)?

I think they might have changed the engine to bar mounting method prior to the tranny change, is this true?

The solid bar to engine mount (with rubber on bar to body) was the first type. i believe Porsche changed to a rubber mount on the engine, after complaints of the bar getting hit at speed, and tearing up the engine case, which could total the engine. At least with the other mount method, the soft mounts are at the engine, so the rubber tears there. The solid mounts at the body are such that you will likely bend the bolt, or do some twisting at the body, which is pursumed to be cheaper to fix, and not as likely to leave you stranded as a busted engine case could.

i had an early car i purchased with a busted solid engine mount. fortunatly only danage was stripped threads and bent bolts. It was a pain to do, but i was able to Helicoil the stripped holes, what a mess however, but could have been worse. Wish the mount had been rubber, oh well car was only $900, and I put 60,000 miles on it until it got wrecked years later. Miss that car.

dave
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 02:50 AM