Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> SS 914-6 Heat Exchangers, Best place to buy
cal914
post Sep 29 2016, 02:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,366
Region Association: None

Looking to buy a pair of stainless steel heat exchangers for our 6 where's the best place to buy them
Thanks B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
GeorgeRud
post Sep 30 2016, 08:02 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Though I love to see folks making interesting parts available for our cars, I have concerns about the pictured ss exhaust. Porsche learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to have any welds in the enveloped areas of the heat exchangers. A small leak can quickly cause Dudley CO poisoning.

Even with SSI exchangers, place a CO detector in your passenger compartment for safety.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 30 2016, 08:26 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 30 2016, 06:02 AM) *

Though I love to see folks making interesting parts available for our cars, I have concerns about the pictured ss exhaust. Porsche learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to have any welds in the enveloped areas of the heat exchangers. A small leak can quickly cause Dudley CO poisoning.

Even with SSI exchangers, place a CO detector in your passenger compartment for safety.

Was waiting for this to come up..

I have built and rebuilt aviation exhaust systems for over 25 years and every single heat exchanger in the aviation world has weld joints underneath the heat exchangers. You can not pull over to the side of the road in an airplane. It is all in how the exhaust is welded. it is a MUST to purge welded to ensure a good internal weld and keeping temps below the carbide percip. levels with chill plates etc..

having a co detector is always a good idea. that said also please keep in mind that ALL tubing has a seam weld in it running the full length of the pipe so that there is a very good likelyhood that would split before our welds..

I speak from real experience on this..
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 11:56 AM