Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Can you Change a Tail shifter to a Side Shifter?
Korijo914
post Nov 1 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,940
Region Association: None

I have heard that you can change a tail shifter transaxle to a side shifter transaxle. Is this true, or is it just a rumor? If I can change my 5 speed tail shifter transaxle to a 5 speed side shifter transaxle, how do I modify my tail shifter?

If I can, what kind of parts do I need? What kind of preparation is needed to be done? I am assuming that I will need a side shifter transaxle, correct? What else?

Oh, I did look all over the site, and found nothing.

korijo 914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Korijo914
post Nov 2 2016, 03:08 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,940
Region Association: None

Okay guys & gals, do you understand what I am trying to do? I want to either swap the guts from my 5 speed tail shifter to my 4 speed side shifter, or is it easier to change my tail shifter to a side shifter? I am trying to get a 5 speed side shifter!

What is the easiest way to do that?

Info needed! No hurry, tho!

David ( korijo 914 and keoneeli ) Cawdrey
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Nov 2 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Dominic

Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Korijo914 @ Nov 2 2016, 02:08 PM) *

Okay guys & gals, do you understand what I am trying to do? I want to either swap the guts from my 5 speed tail shifter to my 4 speed side shifter, or is it easier to change my tail shifter to a side shifter? I am trying to get a 5 speed side shifter!

What is the easiest way to do that?

Info needed! No hurry, tho!

David ( korijo 914 and keoneeli ) Cawdrey

David,
I've never heard of a 4 speed sideshifter, all of the 901 transaxles that were installed into 914's were 5 speed regardless of Tailshift or sideshift. The gears are all the same, the main difference is the shift selector rods in each transaxle and how they are actuated.
But to answer your question, you should be able to put the gear stack/intermediate plate from your tailshifter into your sideshift case, but you will have to use the shift selector rods from the sideshifter, do this all on the bench before you install into your sideshift case. Of course you will need to align all three shift selector forks with a jig prior to the install. The best way is make a jig from an old gearbox case. I'll try to find a picture of the one I use.

Do you have a copy of the factory manuals? Either paper copy or PDF? Follow the instructions for aligning the forks from the factory manual, very straight forward if you have the jig to hold your gear stacks.

Cheers,
Dominic
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 06:21 AM