Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mega squirt vs micro squirt educate me
mb911
post Dec 10 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So I am building a 2.4 6 with s pistons, solex cams and ported heads. I have webers and have considered a couple of paths. I have used megasquirt in the past on a 3.2 short stroke turbo engine using an adaptation of the bitz racing kit..

I am considering many things from machining the intakes to accept injectors and using the webers as throttle bodies to making a all sheet metal intake..

I would really like use a ecu that has a usb port etc. I am looking for feed back ..

Utlimatly the system I used before was bullet proof.. Thoughts?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jpnovak
post Dec 11 2016, 08:59 AM
Post #2

They call me "Nanoman"

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,736
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Let me add a few more details on my system.

I have been running Microsquirt units on a few recent installs. I like them because they are small enough to fit inside the tunnel access by the shift coupler for a near-hidden install. I run integrated spark and fuel. The microsquirt has fewer I/O ports but these are seldom needed on a NA engine.

I do run 2 banks and alternating batch fire. Saw a significant increase in mid-range torque on a recent hot-rod 3.0 when switching from webers to TWM/EFI.

I am a big fan of EFI and maintaining vintage aesthetics. What 2.4 heads do you have? If MFI heads I can supply adapters and screw into the MFI injection ports and hold injectors. I use BMW application Seimens Deka injectors that have the long tip. The tip is located right at the edge of the intake port wall. Exact position depends on port size.

If you have the 73.5 CIS 2.4 heads EFI injector will press it into the exisiting injector port. No adapters needed.

Both of the above are designed to be used with the factory MFI stacks and TBs. This retains the stock linkage and airbox.

I also modify the stock crank pulley for flying magnets and use a discrete hall effect pickup sensor. This give a crank angle pickup signal for timing control. I retain the stock distributor but it is only used for rotor phasing and spark distribution. Basically I take out the least-reliable parts in a distributor: mechanical advance and points.

There are many ways to accomplish what you are after. I agree that EFI is the way to go. What parts do you have? This can steer the decision making process and allowed budget.

Regarding cams... Have you purchased? If you are considering EFI then there are some choices to be made regarding the exact cam specs. What works well for carbs/MFI (98-102 deg lobe center) does not work as well with EFI (I prefer a 106-110 lobe center). This will broaden and flatten the torque curve with the trade off of slightly less peak torque. The overall gains in area under the curve make up for the difference. Small changes really wake these engines up.

btw, I do not want this to be a sales pitch. My adapters work where appropriate. I will not try to steer you into something that will just lead to frustration because its not a good fit for the application.

There are also many good options for ECUs. Since you are familiar with the Megasquirt line you can continue. Otherwise, pick a system that your tuner is familiar with. Nothing worse than EFI with bad programming/tuning.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mb911   Mega squirt vs micro squirt educate me   Dec 10 2016, 05:31 PM
Mowog4   I am running a MegaSquirt Pro, https://www.diyauto...   Dec 10 2016, 05:48 PM
ConeDodger   So I am building a 2.4 6 with s pistons, solex ca...   Dec 10 2016, 06:19 PM
Travis Neff   This looks interesting. http://forums.pelicanpart...   Dec 10 2016, 06:22 PM
jmill   This looks interesting. http://forums.pelicanpar...   Dec 10 2016, 07:39 PM
McMark   Microsquirt is not a good fit for a six because it...   Dec 10 2016, 08:57 PM
mb911   Microsquirt is not a good fit for a six because i...   Dec 11 2016, 07:25 AM
914forme   Been considering the same thing. I will go SDS as...   Dec 11 2016, 05:57 AM
ConeDodger   Been considering the same thing. I will go SDS a...   Dec 11 2016, 10:53 AM
Mark Henry   Been considering the same thing. I will go SDS ...   Dec 12 2016, 01:05 AM
McMark   [quote name='ConeDodger' post='2432736' date='Dec...   Dec 12 2016, 09:00 AM
Mark Henry   My standard caveat applies: SDS works, some peop...   Dec 12 2016, 10:47 AM
gereed75   Consider using MFI throttle bodies and stacks. The...   Dec 11 2016, 08:26 AM
mepstein   Consider using MFI throttle bodies and stacks. Th...   Dec 11 2016, 08:59 AM
jpnovak   Thanks for the vote of confidence. Let me add a f...   Dec 11 2016, 08:59 AM
mb911   Thanks for the vote of confidence. Let me add a ...   Dec 11 2016, 10:42 AM
914forme   Yes have the SDS, actually several different EFI u...   Dec 12 2016, 09:34 AM
Andyrew   Yes have the SDS, actually several different EFI ...   Dec 12 2016, 10:39 AM
McMark   Didn't realize. I'll take a look at it ag...   Dec 12 2016, 11:33 AM
mb911   Just an update on this thread as my heads are back...   Jan 7 2017, 07:07 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 07:19 AM