Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mega squirt vs micro squirt educate me
mb911
post Dec 10 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So I am building a 2.4 6 with s pistons, solex cams and ported heads. I have webers and have considered a couple of paths. I have used megasquirt in the past on a 3.2 short stroke turbo engine using an adaptation of the bitz racing kit..

I am considering many things from machining the intakes to accept injectors and using the webers as throttle bodies to making a all sheet metal intake..

I would really like use a ecu that has a usb port etc. I am looking for feed back ..

Utlimatly the system I used before was bullet proof.. Thoughts?
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
914forme
post Dec 11 2016, 05:57 AM
Post #2

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Been considering the same thing.

I will go SDS as I have it, but MegaSquirt Pro would have been my next choice. The TBs are the big piece for me also. I have been thinking PMO as they would look stealth, but then the engine would not look stock anyway with a big coil pack hanging around.

But as I have a set of triple speeds laying around, a set of manifolds, and it looks like I am well on my way.

Now to rig up the ignition and fuel timing into the flywheel.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 11 2016, 10:53 AM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 11 2016, 08:57 AM) *

I will go SDS as I have it, but MegaSquirt Pro would have been my next choice. The TBs are the big piece for me also. I have been thinking PMO as they would look stealth, but then the engine would not look stock anyway with a big coil pack hanging around.

But as I have a set of triple speeds laying around, a set of manifolds, and it looks like I am well on my way.

Steven, having used SDS for a couple years, my concern is with the first S in SDS. Compared to either Mega or Micro, it's just too simple. It's lack of sophistication, especially in the tuning interface left me struggling to get things just right. When you do something like this, you are wanting it just right. Otherwise bolt up carbs and go!

The prices between the systems are comparable. So, why?

McMark was very patient with me but I think he would have rather done any other system.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 12 2016, 01:05 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 11 2016, 11:53 AM) *

Steven, having used SDS for a couple years, my concern is with the first S in SDS. Compared to either Mega or Micro, it's just too simple. It's lack of sophistication, especially in the tuning interface left me struggling to get things just right. When you do something like this, you are wanting it just right. Otherwise bolt up carbs and go!

McMark was very patient with me but I think he would have rather done any other system.

He says because he already has the system....

BTW on your SDS, let me guess, it always went lean if you kicked down WOT... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 12 2016, 09:00 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 12 2016, 02:05 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 11 2016, 11:53 AM) *

He says because he already has the system....

BTW on your SDS, let me guess, it always went lean if you kicked down WOT... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

It was mostly just the feverish masturbation of buttons trying to navigate to the correct 'bin' that needed adjustment. Oh and the 4-up view of engine readings instead of the Tuner Studio dash were everything is in one place. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

My standard caveat applies: SDS works, some people love it, I know it works. It just doesn't fit my needs.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mb911   Mega squirt vs micro squirt educate me   Dec 10 2016, 05:31 PM
Mowog4   I am running a MegaSquirt Pro, https://www.diyauto...   Dec 10 2016, 05:48 PM
ConeDodger   So I am building a 2.4 6 with s pistons, solex ca...   Dec 10 2016, 06:19 PM
Travis Neff   This looks interesting. http://forums.pelicanpart...   Dec 10 2016, 06:22 PM
jmill   This looks interesting. http://forums.pelicanpar...   Dec 10 2016, 07:39 PM
McMark   Microsquirt is not a good fit for a six because it...   Dec 10 2016, 08:57 PM
mb911   Microsquirt is not a good fit for a six because i...   Dec 11 2016, 07:25 AM
914forme   Been considering the same thing. I will go SDS as...   Dec 11 2016, 05:57 AM
ConeDodger   Been considering the same thing. I will go SDS a...   Dec 11 2016, 10:53 AM
Mark Henry   Been considering the same thing. I will go SDS ...   Dec 12 2016, 01:05 AM
McMark   [quote name='ConeDodger' post='2432736' date='Dec...   Dec 12 2016, 09:00 AM
Mark Henry   My standard caveat applies: SDS works, some peop...   Dec 12 2016, 10:47 AM
gereed75   Consider using MFI throttle bodies and stacks. The...   Dec 11 2016, 08:26 AM
mepstein   Consider using MFI throttle bodies and stacks. Th...   Dec 11 2016, 08:59 AM
jpnovak   Thanks for the vote of confidence. Let me add a f...   Dec 11 2016, 08:59 AM
mb911   Thanks for the vote of confidence. Let me add a ...   Dec 11 2016, 10:42 AM
914forme   Yes have the SDS, actually several different EFI u...   Dec 12 2016, 09:34 AM
Andyrew   Yes have the SDS, actually several different EFI ...   Dec 12 2016, 10:39 AM
McMark   Didn't realize. I'll take a look at it ag...   Dec 12 2016, 11:33 AM
mb911   Just an update on this thread as my heads are back...   Jan 7 2017, 07:07 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 05:13 AM